Rib Pain

Can you dislocate your rib by accidentally pushing it?

Query: Hi doctor, I accidentally pushed my rib and felt it move. Now it looks more to the side than my left side. Did I dislocate it? I feel a kind of discomfort.  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did you feel a click or popping like sound when that happened? Is there any pain or swelling? Does it pain on a deep breath or while coughing? Is there any discomfort or difficulty in breathing? If your answer to all these questions is no, then no worries. If t...  Read Full »

Will improper sleeping position cause pain in left ribs with breathing difficulty?

Query: Hi doctor, As of now, I am suffering pain in my left rib which results in difficulty in breathing. I suspect this happens when I fall asleep on the sofa in an awkward position and when I woke up, my throat has a little pain but it did not persist but but it started to ache on the left rib part. I f...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from difficulty in breathing due to aching of the left rib part that radiates toward shoulder which may occur when you fall asleep on sofa in an awkward position. You think your ribs may h...  Read Full »

What does normal intrahepatic biliary duct in MRI mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain for the past four weeks already. The pain is consistently sharp and takes my breath away, and stabbing. And with the pain, I have spasms all over my body. I can feel some pulsation inside my left upper side under my ribs and the pain starts with the cramps on my back going t...  Read Full »

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Inflammatory conditions like costochondritis must be ruled out. As of now, you can use analgesics and anti-inflammatory combination like Aceclofenac, Seratiopeptdase for symptomatic relief. If symptoms persist, it is better to consult a physician and get evaluated.  Read Full »

What causes pain under left rib cage when bending over?

Query: Hello doctor, Every time I am sitting down and taking a deep breath, the left side of my rib cage hurts. Even when I bend over to take a deep breath, it stills hurts and it only happens when I am sitting down, bending over or I am laying on the left side. What could this be? It also feels a little ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  According to your complaints, I think you might have a sore cartilage between the ribs also known as costochondritis unless and until ruled out. If you recently did some heavy workout, lifted something heavy or had a hit on the left part, then the chances of having a...  Read Full »

I am getting pain in the middle of my chest on sudden movement. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting pain in the middle of my chest when I put pressure on it such as while sleeping when I suddenly wake up or turn around. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Costochondritis is the most common cause of sternum pain. It occurs when the cartilage between the sternum and ribs becomes inflamed and irritated. Try the following methods. 1. Ice pack to your chest. 2. You can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like Ibuprof...  Read Full »

I have pain in ribs with breathing difficulty after a fall. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I slipped, fell and landed on my side four days ago and have been in a lot of pain since around my ribs on the left side. The pain has not lessened, sometimes feels worse. It hurts when I breathe so I have to take shallow breaths. I know that X-rays will not do much and I realize that...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concern. Severe pain on the ribs and breathing difficulty after a fall indicates some injury to the ribs. Even a minor fracture of the ribs can cause severe pain and breathing difficult...  Read Full »

I have sharp pain in my ribs when I am breathing. How can I get relieved?

Query: Hi doctor, While working out today, I was doing a shoulder press. I was doing it too fast, and at one point, I got a sharp pain in my back, near where my ribs meet my spine. Since then, I am also having very sharp pain when inhaling and exhaling, as well as when rotating my torso or neck. Should I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like you have muscle spasm or strain. You can use over-the-counter Motrin 600 mg (Ibuprofen) twice or thrice a day with the meal for two to three days and there are topical analgesics available for the gentle massage. It will get better within two to three days...  Read Full »

I feel pain and bloating after eating anything. Please help me out.

Query: Hello doctor,After eating my food or anything like dairy products, etc., my stomach bloats and there is pain below the breast on both the side, but mostly on the left side. On touching the ribs, I get pain. I feel something is swollen. It is from a very long time. Please help me out.  Read Full »

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know if you had any weight loss in recent time or used painkillers excessively or had black colored stool or blood with vomit? Do you have vomiting? Or a family history of any stomach cancer? If all these are negative then you are suffering from func...  Read Full »

I have pain below ribs on the left. What is causing it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male. Recently, I have been diagnosed with tubercular lymphadenitis and started the treatment three days back for TB. My USG whole abdomen reveals hemangioma of the liver. I have pain in left side below ribs which radiates to back and a couple of months back on CT s...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Rugae thickening by itself is not going to cause you stomach pain. Such thickening is usually normal or a result of hyperacidity, or rarely Menetrier disease. Now, first of all, you need an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy as well as a biopsy to rule our H.pylori in...  Read Full »

Can my ribs pop out because of doing chiropractic exercises?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 50 years old with a height of 5 feet 2 inches and a weight of 110 pounds. I recently started chiropractic treatment for my back and neck pain. My chiropractor also taught me exercises that I should do at home daily. After about two months of two chiropractic sessions per wee...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ribs or for that matter any bone is unlikely to pop out by simple exercises as the exercises are done for a short period of time and any displacement that would occur due to exercise is small and lasts the time you are exercising. Prominence and associated pain are ...  Read Full »