Q. How to treat swelling with pus near the teeth, which is already root canal treated?

Dr. Bhargav Gutha

My dentist performed a root canal treatment on one of my upper molar teeth. He assured that it was a minor infection as he checked the X-ray, but he could not handle that tooth infection later on. A point-size hard stumble appeared on the gums near the tooth where the root canal was done. After a month, he closed the tooth, and it started to swell again. He asked me to take some antibiotics and said it was fine. He then filled the tooth. But now again, there is swelling. Maybe there is pus inside. What shall I do now?

#

Upon review, these were the findings,

1. Swelling in the upper right vestibule in relation to the right first molar.
  2. Restoration in relation to the right first molar.

The red color swelling in the gums is probably an abscess due to caries in relation to the right first molar. The filling looks like a temporary restoration. It might also be secondary caries. It is best to check vestibular and tooth tenderness on percussion in relation to the right first molar.

I would suggest access opening in the affected teeth, prescribing antibiotics and painkillers to control infection and pain, and further completing the re-root canal treatment in the right first molar. There will be a good treatment outcome.

|