Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a small gum abscess. What has to be done?

Answered by
Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 12, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have gum abscess. It is very small and white in color. Should I visit a dentist or will it be alright if I go for home remedies?



Welcome to

It would have been better if you had sent a clear photograph of the jaw and whether you did a filling of the tooth in the same area so that I can assess it properly. Still, with limited inputs, I feel it is a case of gingival abscess due to a diseased tooth or carious tooth. Yes, it needs dentists intervention if there is really a problem in tooth and if the tooth is fine, then you can get well with medication. Tablet Ofloxacin 290 mg, Ornidazole 500 mg BD for five days. Tablet Diclofenac 50 mg and Paracetamol 500 mg BD for three days. Mixed with Chlorhexidine 0.1 % twice daily for 15 days. Rinsing for only 15 seconds.

This abscess will resolve in a few days but as I told, it is to be seen whether you have a carious tooth or filling or RCT treated tooth in the same region. If you have radiograph, you can send. But I am pretty sure you will get relief in three days after taking this medication.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What can be done for tooth pain because of broken tooth?
I have a small gum abscess. What has to be done?
I have crooked teeth and broken decayed tooth. Do I need extraction for braces?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Tooth pain and a white lump on my upper gum

Query: Hello doctor,I recently started having tooth pain and it has not gone away. I do have a white lump on my upper gum but I have had it for a while. Sometimes, it goes away and then comes back. My tooth pain almost feels like a cavity but I am not sure.  Read Full »

I have a gum abscess spreading to cheeks. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess on my top left gum that is now spreading to my cheeks. I am 19. I had an abscess in the same place at 10 or other young age. Last time I went to the dentist they did not do the cleaning in the first appointment so I did not get one, but wisdom teeth removal was sugge...  Read Full »

My face has swollen after a gum abscess. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess in my gums. I went to the hospital yesterday and they prescribed me 500 mg Penicillin to be taken four times a day. I started the Penicillin at 10 AM yesterday. The abscess has caused my face to swell. Overnight, the swelling has spread to the area around my eye. I ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.