Q. I have a small gum abscess. What has to be done?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar
Published on Oct 12, 2018

I have gum abscess. It is very small and white in color. Should I visit a dentist or will it be alright if I go for home remedies?

#

It would have been better if you had sent a clear photograph of the jaw and whether you did a filling of the tooth in the same area so that I can assess it properly. Still, with limited inputs, I feel it is a case of gingival abscess due to a diseased tooth or carious tooth. Yes, it needs dentists intervention if there is really a problem in tooth and if the tooth is fine, then you can get well with medication. Tablet Ofloxacin 290 mg, Ornidazole 500 mg BD for five days. Tablet Diclofenac 50 mg and Paracetamol 500 mg BD for three days. Mixed with Chlorhexidine 0.1 % twice daily for 15 days. Rinsing for only 15 seconds.

This abscess will resolve in a few days but as I told, it is to be seen whether you have a carious tooth or filling or RCT treated tooth in the same region. If you have radiograph, you can send. But I am pretty sure you will get relief in three days after taking this medication.

Tooth pain and a white lump on my upper gum

Query: Hello doctor,I recently started having tooth pain and it has not gone away. I do have a white lump on my upper gum but I have had it for a while. Sometimes, it goes away and then comes back. My tooth pain almost feels like a cavity but I am not sure.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems your tooth is having a chronic abscess due to infection reaching the pulp and beyond the roots of the tooth and the white swelling is an abscess. I suggest you consult your dentist who will take an X-ray of the tooth and will confirm the diagnosis and explai...  Read Full

I have a gum abscess spreading to cheeks. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess on my top left gum that is now spreading to my cheeks. I am 19. I had an abscess in the same place at 10 or other young age. Last time I went to the dentist they did not do the cleaning in the first appointment so I did not get one, but wisdom teeth removal was sugge...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Immediately start with these medicines. Tablet Augmentin 625 mg twice a day for five days, tablet Gramex 400 mg twice a day for five days, tablet Brufen 400 mg twice a day or thrice a day if the pain is severe for five days. Moreover, take some mustard oil or olive oil, p...  Read Full

My face has swollen after a gum abscess. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess in my gums. I went to the hospital yesterday and they prescribed me 500 mg Penicillin to be taken four times a day. I started the Penicillin at 10 AM yesterday. The abscess has caused my face to swell. Overnight, the swelling has spread to the area around my eye. I ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It looks like a tooth abscess. As you already know, the tooth is involved. So, I would suggest you get an x-ray of the tooth done. As the infection is severe, I suggest you take stronger antibiotics like Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). Also, start taking S...  Read Full