Q. I get pain in my lower tooth during sleep. Please suggest medication.

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am having pain in my lower tooth whenever I go to sleep. Due to lockdown, I am unable to consult the dentist. Can you please tell me any tablet that I can use in the meantime.

#

Sorry for the pain you are bearing because of the prevailing situation. As you have already mentioned there is a cavity and when it reaches up to the pulp there develops an irreversible stage which generally is more painful during night time as we sleep. I think your tooth has reached the stage of irreversible pulpitis and a root canal treatment is now must in order to save the remaining tooth. So go for it as soon as the situation in your area gets better.

For now, take Amoxicillin clavulanate 500 mg (thrice daily) for five days, Paracetamol 500 mg to thrice daily SOS. Do not take Paracetamol when there is no pain but do complete the Amoxicillin course.

Additionally, you can take any one for gastritis if you have a tendency to develop gastritis with antibiotics. You can take PAN-D (Pantoprazole) or Omez (Omeprazole). Take them on empty stomach.

Do salt water rinse regularly. You can apply clove oil at the site, it is a good anti-inflammatory. Maintain good oral hygiene regularly, but for sure get it treated. Avoid eating from the affected side until it gets treated or even if you eat make sure nothing gets lodged in that tooth.

Do mouth rinses with plain water regularly so that there is no food stuck. Drink plenty of water.

| 

Due to negligence, I did not get RCT done and have pain now. Has the infection spread?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tooth checked up last year, and the doctor told me to go for an OPG as he was planning for a root canal therapy. But due to severe negligence and work, I could not do that. It is almost a year now, and tonight I am having a painful time. Please tell me whether there is a chan...  Read Full »

I have toothache after the tooth filling chipped off. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I flossed by a tooth where a filling almost came out and my tooth and gum have been hurting all night. Also have a tooth that is by this molar that fell or chipped out. I do not know if it is an abscess or an exposed nerve in my molar that is right behind it. Took Tylenol 2 every 6 ho...  Read Full »

Why do I have severe pain after filling cavity?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a deep cavity filled about five weeks ago. I had extreme sensitivity to cold since it was filled. I had no other pain associated with the tooth. Biting down was completely fine. Two nights ago, I started to get extreme pain on the right side of my face and jaw (the same side the ...  Read Full »