Q. What is the difference between steroid-induced rosacea and normal rosacea?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I wanted to ask that what is the difference between steroid induced rosacea and normal rosacea?

#

A steroid is a medicine used for many dermatological conditions, available in various concentrations and potency.

When potent steroids are used on face, it makes the skin thin (atrophy), making it more sensitive. It also makes the tiny blood vessels within the skin more visible which are usually not visible (telangiectasia).

When such skin is exposed to sunlight, skin becomes red with burning sensation. In few cases, there can be red bumps and pustules. This is called steroid induced rosacea.

Rosacea as such is an inflammatory condition of facial skin with genetic influence, aggravated by the overactive demodex folliculorum mite, which are otherwise silent in normal skin. Rosacea becomes worse on exposure to sunlight.

The skin becomes red and hot on eating spicy foods, upon going near a hot flame, during anger and grief.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|