Q. I have attached my parents annual health check-up results. Is any medication required?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

Please check the attached annual health check-up results of my parents and advise if any medications are required. They already take cholesterol and blood pressure medicines.

#

• All attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are normal, except reactive eosinophilia is present in your dad's report.
  • Eosinophils are elevated in allergic conditions, certain skin disease, parasitic infection, etc.
  • Is there any history of congestion, cold, abdominal pain, or increased bowel movement? If no specific cause is found, then no treatment is needed for eosinophilia.
  • What is your dad's blood pressure? And since how many years are they taking blood pressure medication?
  • Continue the medications for blood pressure and cholesterol. You can also get treadmill test and EKG (electrocardiography), as part of the routine test.

Revert with more information to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

His blood pressure was 130/80 mmHg. Calcium seems to be high, is that ok? And ESR is also high. He does not have a cold or pain, so anything else to be done for eosinophils?

#

• Your dad's blood pressure is under control with medication, so you can continue prescribed medication for high blood pressure.
  • For eosinophilia, clinical correlation should be done. Usually, mild allergy, asthma, skin condition, and parasitic infection, are most common causes for that. But here eosinophilia does not seem from parasitic, or asthma-like conditions.
  • For now, as there are no symptoms, no need to take any antiallergic medication.
  • Secondly, the calcium is not very high, the sensitivity of different instruments vary up to 11. So, I do not think you should worry about that. Hyperparathyroidism is the main cause for elevated calcium, but in that usually calcium level above 11.
  • For cholesterol problem, you might have been prescribed Atorvastatin like drug, that is commonly used nowadays.
  • ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a non-specific marker and can be elevated in any inflammation as well.
  • So, you can consult a nearby doctor for a physical examination, with keeping my answer in mind. Repeat eosinophil count and ESR after a week. If it is still elevated, then further workup is necessary.

Revert after a week to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|