Q. I have attached my parents annual health check-up results. Is any medication required?

Please check the attached annual health check-up results of my parents and advise if any medications are required. They already take cholesterol and blood pressure medicines.

#

• All attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are normal, except reactive eosinophilia is present in your dad's report.
  • Eosinophils are elevated in allergic conditions, certain skin disease, parasitic infection, etc.
  • Is there any history of congestion, cold, abdominal pain, or increased bowel movement? If no specific cause is found, then no treatment is needed for eosinophilia.
  • What is your dad's blood pressure? And since how many years are they taking blood pressure medication?
  • Continue the medications for blood pressure and cholesterol. You can also get treadmill test and EKG (electrocardiography), as part of the routine test.

Revert with more information to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

His blood pressure was 130/80 mmHg. Calcium seems to be high, is that ok? And ESR is also high. He does not have a cold or pain, so anything else to be done for eosinophils?

#

• Your dad's blood pressure is under control with medication, so you can continue prescribed medication for high blood pressure.
  • For eosinophilia, clinical correlation should be done. Usually, mild allergy, asthma, skin condition, and parasitic infection, are most common causes for that. But here eosinophilia does not seem from parasitic, or asthma-like conditions.
  • For now, as there are no symptoms, no need to take any antiallergic medication.
  • Secondly, the calcium is not very high, the sensitivity of different instruments vary up to 11. So, I do not think you should worry about that. Hyperparathyroidism is the main cause for elevated calcium, but in that usually calcium level above 11.
  • For cholesterol problem, you might have been prescribed Atorvastatin like drug, that is commonly used nowadays.
  • ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a non-specific marker and can be elevated in any inflammation as well.
  • So, you can consult a nearby doctor for a physical examination, with keeping my answer in mind. Repeat eosinophil count and ESR after a week. If it is still elevated, then further workup is necessary.

Revert after a week to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article

Eosinophilia: A Brief Discussion Regarding Causes and Management

Article Overview: Eosinophilia or a rise in the eosinophil count can occur due to allergy or skin infection, or due to HIV infection or cancer. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

Eosinophilia Definition Eosinophilia is said to be present when the absolute eosinophil count is more than 400/cmm (some books mention eosinophilia when the absolute count is more than 500/cmm). Etiology: I will describe in brief the causes of eosinophilia so that it will help in detecting the und...  Read Article

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now