Definition: Eosinophilia is said to be present when the absolute eosinophil count is more than 400/cmm (some books mention eosinophilia when the absolute count is more than 500/cmm).
Etiology: I will describe in brief the causes of eosinophilia so that it will help in detecting the underlying cause of eosinophilia.
1. Allergic disorders: This is the first cause that has to be ruled out.
2. Parasitic infestations: Following parasites can lead to high eosinophils.
3. Skin disease:
4. Pulmonary eosinophilia
So, according to need various tests are done.
- In allergy disorder, Corticosteroid or Montelukast or strong anti-inflammatory drug can be prescribed.
- In asthma, bronchodilator inhaler or nebulization also can be prescribed as per need.
- For parasites, Albendazole 400 mg is a good drug.
- For skin problem, according to the cause, treatment is done like for example, topical Betamethasone.
Footnote: Do not neglect high eosinophils in CBC. Rule out the underlying cause and accordingly, treatment is done. Hope this article is useful to you.
For more information consult an allergy management specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist/allergy-management