Q. I have recurring scabies for over a year. How to get rid of it?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 39 years old, with a height of 6 feet and a weight of 190 lbs. I have recurring scabies for over a year, which is contagious.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Please send photographs of all the affected areas.

• Any history of hypertension or diabetes mellitus?
  • Any other family members affected?

Kindly share your detailed history of the onset and progression.

| 

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

There is no previous history. My friend and I, along with my son, wife, and mom, were diagnosed with scabies. I think one of the places I lived in had a bedbug problem, but I cannot find evidence of them.

#

In favor of scabies, I would advise you to use,

1. Permethrin 5% lotion two times at a one-week interval.

2. Tablet Ivermectin 12 mg one tablet two times at a one-week interval.

3. Tablet Xyzal M (Levocetrizine and Montelukast) once daily for three weeks, as even after the proper application, it can take three to four weeks for itching to subside.

4. Apply Mometasone furoate cream to extremely itchy areas.

The way to apply Permethrin lotion :

• Thoroughly wash and dry the skin.
  • Massage the lotion into the skin from the head to the soles, paying particular attention to creases in the skin, hands, feet, between fingers and toes, underarms, and groin.

Scabies rarely infests adults' scalp, although the hairline, neck, side of the head, and forehead may be infested in older people and infants.

• Leave the Permethrin cream on the skin for 8 to 14 hours. Wash off by taking a shower or bath. Change into clean clothes.
  • The whole family needs to apply Permethrin together, and the dose is 50 ml per application.
  • All clothes should be ironed before using them.

I hope it helps you.

|