Q. How to differentiate between scabies, flea bite, bed bug, and folliculitis?

Published on Nov 03, 2017

I am a general practitioner. I struggle to differentiate these conditions: scabies, flea bite, bed bug and folliculitis. I would really appreciate your clinical knowledge and goodwill in enlightening me about this, so I can provide better care for our patients.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query.

Scabies is caused by mites. In this, the patient presents with nocturnal itching with burrows over the web space of hands.

In flea bite or bed bug bite, you may find itchy erythematous papules that may be localized or generalized depending upon the hypersensitivity reactions.

Folliculitis is the inflammation of hair follicles and always presents with pain.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

What is the treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two abscesses, which looks like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both the abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos. Please suggest some medicine.  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would not be an insect bite unless it appeared overnight. After reviewing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like an infection of the hair follicle. For such a skin infection, overweight and diabetes are the risk factors. I would ...  Read Full

What has caused this swelling on my face, insect bite or allergy?

Query: Hi doctor,I have some skin issue on my face. It looks as if some insect has bitten on it and a bit swollen. Is that due to some allergy?  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. I have seen the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like some insect bite only. Avoid scratching that area if you develop itch. You can take some antihistamine drug ...  Read Full