Common "Scabies" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


The infestation of the skin with mites called Sarcoptes scabiei is called scabies. If left untreated, these mites live and multiply on the skin by burrowing the eggs into the skin. It results in skin rashes, which itch intensely.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Could scabies linger in bedding for four years?

Query: Hello doctor, Four years ago, during a sailing trip, my wife and I contracted scabies, seemingly from the boat's captain who showed severe itching. Initially, my wife's diagnosis was incorrect until my symptoms surfaced. Treatment with 5% Permethrin was successful after a two-week interval. While w...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. Please do not worry. I would recommend sending a picture of the affected area. It will assist in providing accurate advice. Recurrences are common with this condition. To completely clear it, follow the below instructions: Treat bo...  Read Full »

I have itching only on the penis and surrounding areas. Kindly suggest a cure.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an allergy for the last two weeks. This allergy only affects the penis and surrounding areas. Sometimes I have more allergies and creates a feeling like I have to cut this part of the body. When the body is dry, there are more allergies. Please tell me a cure for this disease...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. It looks like you have got scabies, a condition caused by a mite. It cannot be seen by naked eyes, but only under the microscope. Symptoms include intense itching, which worsens at night, and bumps are seen all over but more prominent betwe...  Read Full »

I have a rash on my stomach that is spreading. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a rash on my stomach for one and a half weeks. It started as one pimple-like bump and has developed across my stomach, between my right armpit and breast, and a bit on my lower back. The urgent care doctor told me it was an allergic reaction and gave me Triamcinolone acetonid...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hello,Welcome to understand your concern, and I have seen the attached picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity).It does not seem to be shingles; it looks like scabies. Scabies is an intensely itchy skin infestation caused by mites. The diagnosis of scabies can of...  Read Full »

I have bumps on my scrotum and penis head. What could it be?

Query: Hi doctor, Initially, I had bumps on my scrotum and now I got a few bumps on my penis head. I have attached the pictures for a better idea. First It was told that these may be cysts. And later it was told as Fordyce spots. Please give me a correct diagnosis. Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to They are neither cyst nor Fordyce spots. Sexually transmitted disease can be a probability. But, for proper diagnosis I need to know the complete history that is the onset, progression and duration of lesion. Did you experience any whole body itching predominantly ...  Read Full »

How to treat inflammation present on the tip of the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I got inflammation on tip of my penis. It is itchy and burning. I used Quadriderm cream at first and thought it was a normal infection. It got better but now it came back again. What should I do? They have also appeared in the testes but it seems like they started appearing inside the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suvash Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen your query and concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With your description and the given picture, it seems you have scabies. Scabies is an intensely itchy skin infestation caused by mites. The diagnosis of sca...  Read Full »

I have red patches on my buttocks despite medication. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I got some red patches on my buttocks, penis, and scrotum. It is too itchy. I consulted a doctor and he diagnosed it as scabies and advised to use Lindane Lotion. I used it for three days but the redness has not gone. The itchiness has reduced but not gone completely. My doctor is curr...  Read Full »

Dr. Thakare Sampada Avinash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, it is nodular scabies. Now do not apply Lindane lotion. Consider the application of Flutibact (Fluticasone and Mupirocin) cream twice daily for seven days. Tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg at bedtime. It takes time for nodular lesions (inflammation) to subside. For f...  Read Full »

I am experiencing itchy blisters. Please help

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old female, and I do not know what is happening with my body. I have itchy blisters on my five fingers, and my entire body feels very itchy.  Read Full »

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Though the description of your query is a bit brief and vague, I could think of two possibilities in your case. Pompholyx - where one gets very tiny itchy blisters over the sides of fingers and palms. It requires taking oral antiallergic drugs like Cetirizine along with ...  Read Full »

How to eradicate and prevent scabies recurrence?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34-year-old female. Over the past few weeks, I have experienced persistent itching, especially at night, along with the appearance of small red bumps and a rash. After consulting with a dermatologist, I have been diagnosed with scabies. I would like to learn more about the recomm...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello,Welcome to do understand your concern. The hallmark of scabies includes the involvement of the web spaces of the fingers and toes (inflammatory papules, vesicles, or excoriation marks), night aggravation of itching, and similar complaints in family members. Scabies can also be tr...  Read Full »

I am experiencing pimple-like bumps on both of my legs like bug bites which fade and reoccur. What are they?

Query: Hello doctor,On both of my legs, I always have bumps that mimic pimples; they do not hurt or itch, but they are there all the time. I called in an expert because I was convinced there were bed bugs but I was unable to locate them. The bumps emerge close to one another, are red, fade away like scars,...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. According to the details and the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it seems to be scabies, a reaction to an insect bite brought on by tiny mites. These insects are typically only visi...  Read Full »

I have multiple, small, itchy bumps on my skin. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had multiple, small colorless bumps on my skin for the past few days. Some of them are itchy. Some turn red after scratching and they are mainly on my arms, hands, and back. I have no history of allergy and have not eaten or touched anything in particular on the day it started. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. It appears to be a hypersensitivity reaction to an itch mite. If night aggravation of itching is present, it is typical of scabies. So, I suggest you follow the instructions mentioned below. 1. Apply Fucibet (F...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.