Q. What is the treatment for scabies?

Dr. Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 04, 2019

I am a 40-year-old, suffering from scabies from a week. I have two kids, a wife, and a cat, and they keep on itching themselves continuously. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

You may have acquired animal scabies. I would suggest a single whole-body application of 5 % Permethrin cream from the neck downwards to the whole body, kept overnight for eight hours, followed by bath the next day. An OTC oral antihistamine, e.g. Cetirizine 10 mg once daily, will provide symptomatic relief from itching. Kids can take syrup Alerid (5mg/5ml) 1 tablespoon daily (Cetirizine). All the close contacts should be treated simultaneously in the same manner.

Clothing, sheets, etc., should be washed thoroughly with hot water to prevent re-infection from clothing. For the cat, you may dissolve one tablet of Ivermectol 12 mg in milk and feed her.

| 

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »