Q. I want to know the symptoms of schizophrenia. Please explain.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I want to ask about the symptoms of schizophrenia. From the information I have seen before, it seems like I may have either developed it at a very young age, or I may have been born with it. I still want to have a professional point of view on it, though, because I only made this conclusion from observations and comparisons.

And I only recently (a year or so ago) started realizing that some things I thought to be normal, were not. What I believe to be my symptoms are hallucinations that I remember having since I was 4 (and maybe even before then). Having trouble in telling the difference between shadows and silhouette of living beings, not having any distinction between dreams and memories, and having scrambled thoughts that include conversations with either people that do or do not exist staged out in my head.

Do you have a question on Schizophrenia or Delusions & Hallucinations?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

M.B.B.S., D.P.M., MEMBER OF INDIAN PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY., SPECIALIST IN MOOD AND ANXIETY DISORDERS
Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine

The symptoms of schizophrenia are,

1) Hallucinations are hearing voices when there is no one around.

2) False beliefs which one believes to be true despite proof against it.

3) Illogical thinking and speech.

4) Catatonic symptoms like sitting at one place or assuming one posture for long periods.

5) Negative symptoms like lack of motivation, a scarcity of speech, reduced interest, and reduced activities. Though schizophrenia begins typically in early adulthood, it can start even at a very young age. There are different types of schizophrenia. What you describe comes close to paranoid schizophrenia in which there are frequent hallucinations and some false beliefs which are firmly held. I hope it helps. You can consult me anytime for more help.

Can weed smoking cause schizophrenia?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been dealing with anxiety since childhood. I am 22 years old now. I have been smoking weed for about six months and my quality of life drastically improved. Now, I could sleep at night. I went back to being myself happy. My confidence went up and my social anxiety virtually disappe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Before I answer your question I like to congratulate you for taking the necessary step of stopping cannabis. First of all I like to inform you that your current symptoms are related to the same spectrum of disorder or anxie...  Read Full

My mother was diagnosed with triple personality disorder. How did she get it?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old female, and I have seen a lot while growing up. Since I was 6 years old, I started crying every day. Fear grew within me. I started having bad grades since I was 11. I was bullied twice by my friends when I was 7 and second time when I was 13. My parents had no time ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for this query. You have mentioned everything about your history in details. I can understand your concern regarding your low mood. First of all, I would like to tell you that your problems are temporary and have a cure. Poor parenting and adolescent non-suppor...  Read Full

Am I suffering from schizophrenia?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. One night, when I tried to go off to sleep, I had racing thoughts that I had no control over. I did not hear any voices, just thoughts. I could not track them or process them. I was really scared as a result. This phenomenon has been happening whenever I try to go off t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. First of all, I must assure you that there is no evidence of disease called schizophrenia in your case. Schizophrenia is often presented with different kind of prodromal symptoms and they do not match ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now