Q. I want to know the symptoms of schizophrenia. Please explain.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2019

I want to ask about the symptoms of schizophrenia. From the information I have seen before, it seems like I may have either developed it at a very young age, or I may have been born with it. I still want to have a professional point of view on it, though, because I only made this conclusion from observations and comparisons.

And I only recently (a year or so ago) started realizing that some things I thought to be normal, were not. What I believe to be my symptoms are hallucinations that I remember having since I was 4 (and maybe even before then). Having trouble in telling the difference between shadows and silhouette of living beings, not having any distinction between dreams and memories, and having scrambled thoughts that include conversations with either people that do or do not exist staged out in my head.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

The symptoms of schizophrenia are,

1) Hallucinations are hearing voices when there is no one around.

2) False beliefs which one believes to be true despite proof against it.

3) Illogical thinking and speech.

4) Catatonic symptoms like sitting at one place or assuming one posture for long periods.

5) Negative symptoms like lack of motivation, a scarcity of speech, reduced interest, and reduced activities. Though schizophrenia begins typically in early adulthood, it can start even at a very young age. There are different types of schizophrenia. What you describe comes close to paranoid schizophrenia in which there are frequent hallucinations and some false beliefs which are firmly held. I hope it helps. You can consult me anytime for more help.

| 

Is smoking weed a cause for schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been dealing with anxiety since childhood. I am 22 years old now. I have been smoking weed for about six months and my quality of life drastically improved. Now, I could sleep at night. I went back to being myself happy. My confidence went up and my social anxiety virtually disappe...  Read Full »

My mother was diagnosed with triple personality disorder. How did she get it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old female, and I have seen a lot while growing up. Since I was 6 years old, I started crying every day. Fear grew within me. I started having bad grades since I was 11. I was bullied twice by my friends when I was 7 and second time when I was 13. My parents had no time ...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. One night, when I tried to go off to sleep, I had racing thoughts that I had no control over. I did not hear any voices, just thoughts. I could not track them or process them. I was really scared as a result. This phenomenon has been happening whenever I try to go off t...  Read Full »