Q. Is there any alternate method other than drugs to treat schizophrenia?

Dr. Vandana Patidar

I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and have been prescribed anti-psychotic medication Olanzapine. I have been taking it for 2 to 3 years. I was wondering if there is an alternate route to treatment? Or if there is another solution for a possible cure? I do not want to deal with the negative effects. I do not experience any of the positive effects for 2 to 3 years as long as I have taken Olanzapine. Can I come off the medication?

#

Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medicine. Yes, Olanzapine is available in injectable form. If Olanzapine is causing some effects then it can be changed to other antipsychotic like Aripiprazole, Risperidone or Ziprasidone. You need to take medicines or injectables to keep symptoms in check. I want to understand what negative things you are experiencing.

No, it is not a problem that Olanzapine is causing. I just want to stop taking medication and by negative I mean like there are positive and negative effects of schizophrenia, positive include delusions, hallucinations, etc., and negative includes flat emotions, low motivation, low movement. I want to stop taking medication and I was wondering if schizophrenia is not a life long condition. Is it possible that I will recover and never deal with schizophrenia anymore in my life? Because it is drug induced by Marijuana.

#

Cannabis is notorious in precipitating schizophrenia. If you have a relapse of illness, then you have to take antipsychotic for some time, that is, one to two years. Then your psychiatrist may attempt another withdrawal. But if symptoms relapse, you may have to take medicine life long.

|