Common "Seborrheic Dermatitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Seborrheic dermatitis or seborrheic eczema is a common skin condition that causes skin dryness and redness. It commonly affects the skin on the scalp, around the eyes, eyebrows, nose, and chest.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am suffering from seborrheic dermatitis and my hair falls out easily. What medicine I needed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a male suffering from severe seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. My hair falls out easily and in abnormal amounts, which has been happening for about three years (although I still have quite a bit of hair). I have tried everything, including prescribed shampoos, shower brushes, and e...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can totally sense how frustrating Seborrheic dermatitis can be when it is there for more than three years. It is sad to hear that you are going through this issue for years. Seborrheic dermatitis (SD) is an inflammatory condition, it can be kept under control with sh...  Read Full »

What condition results in scaly and dark skin with severe hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, The skin around my eyes is getting scaly, darkened, and irritated from the last few days, especially near the canthus and outer canthus of my eye. Kindly suggest some treatment. I am suffering from PCOS for the last three years because I have a lot of hair fall and hair growth on my face...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Attach pictures to assess scalp hair density and treatment according to the grading of Alopecia. Do you have insufficient protein intake? Do you have a lack of proper nutrition? Do you experience stress? Do you have a thyroid disorder? Do you have anemia? Exercise regul...  Read Full »

I am suffering from scalp dandruff that flares up on using any type of hair product. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am dealing with dandruff on my scalp from a very young age. I have started getting similar red, dry patches in and around my eyebrows, bridge of the nose, and ears. In addition, they flare up on using any hair products. Is dandruff contagious and what is the treatment for it? Please ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Answer: Hello, welcome to I understand your concern and will try to help you. I went through your photos (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and it is seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammatory condition that occurs due to fungus and excess oil produc...  Read Full »

My daughter has dryness on her forehead and hairline. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter has developed dryness on her forehead and also in her hairline. Please see the pictures attached. We have had a nanoplastia (hair straightening) treatment for her hair. But this problem started after she shifted to the hostel. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. I went through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). However, your image is not very clear, and you did not inform me about itching and other symptoms in detail. From your descriptio...  Read Full »

Do I need oral antifungal medication for fungal infection on the head?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a fungal infection that started with me getting cradle cap, and then the fungus spread throughout my hair, feet and has now spread all over my body. I have tried essential oils, also OTC Nizoral, and antifungal Terbinafine. I resorted shaving my head, and the fungus continues to...  Read Full »

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a superficial fungus in the upper layers of skin and can present as redness, scaling, and itching over the scalp, face, and body. Please avoid the use of any body or scalp oil as that might increase th...  Read Full »

I have a recurring fungal infection on my face. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I am 24 years old. I have been diagnosed to have a fungal infection on my face. I was suggested to use Candid-B cream when I was in primary school. I had relief, but I have been developing the same kind of lesions for five years now, and I have been using Candid-B every night. If I stop us...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have noted your concern. I have viewed the images (attachments are removed to protect the patient's identity). I can see some dryness, flakiness, and small red patches on the side of the chin, jaw, and side of the upper lip. It is not exactly a fungal infection. I...  Read Full »

Why do I have a severely irritated scalp with dandruff despite using Regaine cream?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from female pattern baldness, and I have been using Regaine (Minoxidil 5%) for almost a year. It has worked perfectly well for me, and I am happy with the results. Even my sister has been using it for the same complaint. However, now there seems to be a complication. Both si...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. I have reviewed the picture you shared (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). You have seborrheic dermatitis, which is dandruff with inflammation, in other words. I suggest you use Salisia KT shampoo (Ketoconazole and Sal...  Read Full »

I have skin itching and irritation with red patches. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Few days before, my skin got irritated. I thought it was natural. Last night, just after washing my face with facewash, my skin got red patches in the morning and I have itching type sensation. It looks very awkward. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Irritation and itching on the face can be due to seborrheic dermatitis, polymorphous light eruption, irritant contact dermatitis, and many more. It would be easier for me to make a diagnosis if I see the picture. Can you please attach your clinical pictures of the face? A...  Read Full »

I have been suffering from resistant seborrheic dermatitis. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from resistant seborrheic dermatitis for the past three to four years. I have tried using all shampoos, descaling agents, Betnovate, and Diprosalic ointment. I have been using Daktacort, Lotriderm, Trimovate, and Tacrolimus. I have also been on systemic therapies suc...  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. According to the image attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), red rashes with white flakes on the sides of the nose (nasal alar creases) and medial eyebrows are noticed. It is a hallmark of seborrheic dermatitis. ...  Read Full »

My baby has clustered red pimples on the cheek. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby (one and a half months old) is having red pimples in a cluster on both cheeks. It is very rough to touch and skin appears dry in that area. It does not cause him itching as far as I can see and it is not bleeding or oozing. It has black dots (like when a wound heals) in some ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Babies at this age might suffer from seborrheic dermatitis over scalp, face and upper trunk and the most probable cause is maternal androgens hormones. And skin in such cases are dry, flaky, erythematous and somewhat oozing. However, there is nothing to worry about the ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.