Q. Exposed to secondhand smoke after LASIK. Will it cause any effect?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

I had LASIK three days ago and was exposed to some secondhand smoke last night. Could this be an issue other than dry eye? Please explain.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Please do not worry. This smoke will not have any bad effect on your eye except some irritation and watering for some time.
  • You may continue using medicines as prescribed by your doctor.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Will the smoke have any effect on the healing cornea?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• I assume that the smoke exposure was for a few seconds.
  • Limited period exposure of smoke will not affect cornea or corneal healing in any way. It may cause irritation to conjunctiva leading to redness, watering, etc.
  • Sometimes, small particle of smoke may get lodged in the eye, which may be a source of infection.
  • If redness or watering persists, then consult your treating ophthalmologist.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|