Q. I have repeated episodes of sore throat. Why?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Hello doctor,

I am a 25 year old female. I have been suffering from repeated episodes of a sore throat that includes nasal obstruction and pain in the throat. I was diagnosed by the treating doctor to have a DNS for left (on the basis of a CT scan) and now granular pharyngitis has been added. The frequency of these issues ranges between two to four months. I have been visiting specialists, but getting only temporary relief. The last treatment was taken six months ago and included M-cin 400 OD for five days, Dolonex DT OD for five days, Xyzal M for two weeks, Montek 10 mg for three weeks, and capsule Rabonik DSR OD for four weeks. Now again, the episode has recurred. My chest X-ray, PFT etc. are all normal. Is there any permanent solution to the problem? The problem is more than seven to eight years old. What are the reasons for the frequent episodes?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Can you please share your CT scan reports here? If you have sinusitis, you will have a recurrent throat infection.

1. Do you have symptoms of allergy like excessive sneezing, watering of eyes or itching of the throat?
  2. Do you have excessive acidity or do you smoke or consume alcohol?
  3. Do you have any thyroid issues (hypo or hyper)?

Do revert back.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

The copies of the CT scan reports are uploaded. I do have itching, irritation and occasionally sneezing. No, I do not have acidity and I do not smoke or drink. There are no thyroid issues.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

While your CT scan reports which were done nine years back says that you had sinusitis (may be acute), the recent report shows only a deviated nasal septum with no signs of sinusitis.

From your symptoms, the main cause of your problem seems to be an allergy because of which you get frequent granular pharyngitis and also your nasal turbinates are hypertrophied because of the allergy.

I suggest the following:

1. You need to find out what you are allergic to.
  2. Wear a mask when you travel.
  3. Avoid dust (at home).
  4. Use clean bedsheets to cover yourself.
  5. Do not use air conditioner the entire night.
  6. Do not keep the room very cold.

|