Q. What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Dr. K K Agrawal
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Does it go into the eyeballs? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

#

• Usually when dust enters the eye, it does not "enter the eye" per se.
  • It actually lodges onto the eye surface and causes irritation.
  • Thus leading to pain, redness of eyes, and secretion of tears.
  • There might be a slight disturbance in the vision which is temporary.
  • As soon as the dust is removed, the swelling and irritation of eyes reduce and the vision comes back to normal.
  • However, there are chances of infection due to bacteria in the dust.
  • Wash your eyes immediately with cold water.

Consult an ophthalmologist online for further details --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|