iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrysensitive teethMy upper front teeth feels extremely sensitive. Kindly help.

Am I having temporary pain or just sensitivity in my upper front teeth?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 10, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 26, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My front upper right tooth spontaneously became extremely sensitive to heat yesterday while drinking hot liquid in the middle of the day. Shortly after, it became painful, primarily when touched or biting. I can also feel some throbbing from the root or gum. Today it is still painful. I am not sure what I could have done, I always brush the area twice a day so I would be surprised if there were decay. I have minor gum recession above the tooth in question. I also had panoramic and 3D X-rays taken a couple of weeks ago for my wisdom teeth, and the images did not display anything unusual going on in the front teeth. I have not bitten anything hard or consciously done any damage to it. What could be going on? Is this just temporary pain or sensitivity?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The sensitivity could be due to tooth abrasion. But pain indicates a pulpal or a periodontal pathology (pain due to decay tooth or problem with the gums involving the tooth). An X-ray could probably be of good help in such a situation. Maybe, you had a hit to the tooth previously (even a few years back) it could suddenly cause pain. Or it could be gum recession or any food stuck between the tooth and the gum. It could be trauma from occlusion (a condition in which the affected tooth is damaged due to continuing hard contact with the opposing tooth of the lower jaw when clenching the teeth). So the cause of the pain must be diagnosed to come up with a treatment plan. If it is due to the hard bite, occlusal correction should be enough. If it is sensitivity and gum recession, a deep scaling and/or a local flap surgery procedure should be done. If it is pain due to tooth decay or X-ray suggests a periapical problem, root canal therapy (RCT) should be done. Management depends on the cause of the problem. Visit your dentist for the proper treatment plan.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Srinivas Saketh. G
Dr. Srinivas Saketh. G


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy