Q. A sudden toothache started last night. What could have caused this?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

A sudden toothache started last night in the front left tooth. It is really painful this morning. The pain is constant. I have attached a picture of the affected tooth. What could have caused this?

#

• I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tooth is nonvital (dead) and therefore it is discolored.
  • This usually happens if you had got your tooth injured in any accident, months or years ago.
  • Even slight injuries to the tooth long before, result in nerves getting necrotised inside the tooth. 
  • You should visit a dentist and undergo root canal treatment for the affected tooth.
  • The dentist will place a permanent crown (cap) over the root canal treated tooth.
  • For the time being take a strong pain killer and an antibiotic.
  • I would suggest you to take capsule Amoxicillin 500mg thrice daily for 5 days.
  • Anyways visit a dentist as early as possible because, after pain the next complication is swelling in the affected due to pus generation.

Take care.

Consult a dentist online for further clarifications --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|