Q. I have receding gums, and I feel like they are loose. Can you please help me?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I have receding gums around my lower front teeth which are badly overcrowded. My gums do not bleed when I floss or brush, but I feel like they are loose and will fall out. The dentist said that they are fine, but at night I feel like they click. Can you please help me?

#

I went through your query and attached images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It shows that they are crowded. So, brushing is not proper, and as a result, tartar and stains have developed on the tooth. These tartar and stains are responsible for receding gums.

• Do a deep cleaning (oral prophylaxis).
  • Use a Mouthwash.

This will help with your issue and revert to healthy gums.

I hope it was helpful.

Thank you doctor for the advice.

I have an appointment with a gum specialist, and also I am planning on getting my teeth aligned. My main concern, for now, is if my lower front teeth will fall out. Is this possible, or am I over worrying?

#

• Kindly get the Scaling (deep cleaning) done as soon as possible.
  • Kindly add 5 ml of any available mouthwash and rinse in lukewarm water two to three times a day for a week. You will definitely feel better, and your gums will be healthier. Brush twice in Vertical motion (and not in horizontal motion), gently from gums to teeth edges both front and backside.
  • Avoid sticky or sweet food as much as possible. Rinse after you eat anything.
  • Use a soft toothbrush and apply gentle force. Brush for a maximum of two minutes and not more than twice a day.
  • Regarding your worries about your teeth falling out, kindly be assured it will not happen. Please do not worry so much. Once the Scaling is done, the gums will be healthy again.
  • Getting orthodontic treatment (to correct malalignment), as per my suggestion, is not necessary. As with the increase in age, chances of relapse are much more and might not be successful and is a waste of money and time. Ideally, I encourage getting orthodontic treatment at 16 years of age for much more promising results.

I hope it helped and relieved you from the worries. I will be pleased to help again. Kindly let me know if any further queries.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

|