Q. What is the treatment available for cramps in legs and hands?

Dr. Magesh T
Published on Feb 19, 2019

My mother is 80 years old. Height 5", weight 40 Kg. No history of sugar or BP. The respiratory system is normal. Diet is normal, two or three chapatis. She is suffering from cramp in legs and hands for the last one year. She is advised for Methylcobalamin 1500 OD with Becozinc multivitamin for the last six months. There is a relief of about 20 % by this treatment. Will you please advice any other medicine?

Dr. Magesh T

#

I read about your mother's complaint. I would advise you to have a basic blood investigation to look for serum potassium level. If potassium is low, she will need extra potassium in her diet like tender coconut water and other dietary supplementation. You will also require a complete physical examination. She has been taking Vitamin B12 which is fine in case of neuropathic pain but here she might be beneficial if she takes some muscle relaxants like Myoril 8 mg twice daily for three days.

I had pulmonary embolism. Can I take Spironolactone?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pulmonary embolism as a teenager 10 years ago after taking Yasmin for acne. I was wondering if Spironolactone would be safe to use or could it cause me another embolism? I have a mild form of PCOS. Accutane did not work and acne creams do not work. Currently, I am using Minocy...  Read Full »

I feel a sudden change in heartbeat. Will Potassium tablet help?

Query: Hi doctor, Can a normal person take Potassium Chloride (99 mg) tablet for good working of the heart? I sometimes feel a sudden change in my heartbeat. Will this tablet help to rectify that? What are the side effects of the above mentioned tablet? I have started taking it just three days before and ...  Read Full »

I have chest pain while breathing. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Every time when I breathe, my left side hurts. It also hurts when I take a deep breath too. I do not smoke. What could be the problem?  Read Full »