Q. Can I have sex during 17 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Currently, I am 17 weeks pregnant. I had spotting which started during 13 weeks and lasted for about a week. I was put on bed rest and advised to take Susten 400 mg. Everything was fine in 16 weeks ultrasound. The doctor said no need of bedrest hereafter. But did not say anything abt sex. Can I have sex with my husband? Is it safe now?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It would be better if you could send me your detailed history and scan report that you had recently. Mild bleeding at 13 weeks could be due to local pathology like cervical erosion, polyp, threatened miscarriage or just low lying developing placental at a very initial stage, etc. You got a Progesterone supporting form of a tablet that helped you and now you are asymptomatic.

If you have not had any previous miscarriage or cervical incompetence history or recently not had any diagnosis of threatened miscarriage or cervical incompetence or low lying placenta or any polyp or cervical erosion, can have sex but very gentle with lubricant. (Talking about penetrative vaginal sex). Try to have a valid exclusion of all the above with proper history and examination like a prepregnancy normal cervical smear or outpatient hysteroscopic normal examination and recent normal scan and normal cervical length measurement recently can make things easy for you. (That is why I needed your complete history and investigation reports). In case of any symptoms, you report treating obstetrician or nearest tertiary care center to exclude any emergency.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|