Sex During Pregnancy

I want to know whether making love during pregnancy will hurt my baby.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in my 9th week of pregnancy. My husband was out for a month and has returned now. Both of us feel like getting intimate. Since this is my first pregnancy and I have not completed the first trimester, I wanted to know whether making love could hurt my baby. Should we avoid intercourse...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your doubt is justified. It is recommended that intercourse should not be practised till the 16th week of gestation to avoid any chances of threatened miscarriage. I feel there are other ways to express emotions and intercourse should be avoided during the early f...  Read Full »

Is it possible to calculate the exact day of conception?

Query: Hello doctor,I have an ultrasound scan of my pregnancy, trying to figure out the likely day I had intercourse to understand paternity. I do not remember the last period I had. I had a nuva ring I should have changed, but I forgot. However, I have a scan taken from 2 days ago to upload with all the m...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and will surely help you. However, it is a very early stage to say anything with conviction. However, based upon the details presented by you and the information presented in USG (ultrasonography), it is appearing to be a pregnancy d...  Read Full »

Can sex result in miscarriage during early pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife recently got pregnant. We checked with my relative sister (who is a Gynecologist), and her report is attached in the documents. My wife is facing the below symptoms due to pregnancy: 1) Tiredness or fatigue. 2) Continous nausea-type feeling. 3) Lethargy. 4) Unable to eat pro...  Read Full »

Dr. Tinu Philip

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Congrats on your pregnancy. Though you have not mentioned clearly how many weeks of pregnancy, I assume it must be within the first 12 weeks as you have said she is recently pregnant. The symptoms of tiredness, nausea, lethargy, unable to eat are very common first t...  Read Full »

I am bleeding during pregnancy. Could it be due to sexual intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old woman. I am 5 weeks 2 days pregnant as per USG report. Four days ago, I have had a little bleeding with pain. It was mucus type blood and dark brown colored. I went to a local gynecologist for seeking medical treatment. He advised me to take Duphaston 10 mg tablet twi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Truly speaking, any form of bleeding in pregnant state is risky and needs consultation. An ultrasonography is appropriate here, but you need another scan at 7 weeks or 2 weeks later to know whether you are having any viable fetus or not.  Absence of fetal heartbeat or...  Read Full »

Can we have sex during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I got married before four months and now, my wife is pregnant. She has CRL of 6 weeks. Can you please suggest whether we can continue to have sex? If so, then till what time we can have? Can it be unprotected or protected?  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your problem. You can do non-penetrative sex until 13 weeks and after that you can do gentle penetrative sex till 36 weeks. But, if she has pain, bleeding or water leak, then sex should be avoided. It can be unprotected and should maintain hygiene. For furth...  Read Full »

I had intercourse during pregnancy. Is it fine?

Query: Hello doctor, The gynecologist told me not to have an intercourse because I was having some brown spotting but it stopped and I had a little bit of intercourse but now I am scared something happened, should I be worried?  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Brown spotting may be due to vaginal or cervical infection. And infection can be from your partner or you can transmit to your partner. So that is the reason doctor told not to have intercourse. Continue the medicines given to you and drink more water.  Read Full »

Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is pregnant. She is in her first trimester now. We did not have sex after knowing the pregnancy. Is there any medical problem in having sex during the pregnancy?  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. There is no restriction as such, but there can be pain due to uterine contractions or in some cases bleeding. So, it is advisable to be soft and slow. Also, you can indulge in non-vaginal sex. For further doubts consult an obstetri...  Read Full »

I bled after sex during pregnancy. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I just found that I was pregnant three days ago, I got a faint positive and went to the hospital. The doctors said it was too early but they did a blood test and my hCG was at 150. I had sex yesterday morning and started light bleeding after. I had two small dots but the rest was ligh...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be a miscarriage and could be spotting in early pregnancy as miscarriages are usually confirmed on ultrasound scan and bleeding is heavy with abdominal pain and it usually takes a few days before getting stopped. I would suggest you to repeat a pregnancy test ...  Read Full »

Why did I bleed after intercourse during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 13 weeks pregnant, and after having intercourse I passed a blood clot about the size of a quarter. I have a subchronic bleed behind my placenta. Are these two related?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Yes, they are related. Intercourse should ideally be avoided till the 18th week of gestation to avoid such episodes of threatened miscarriage. Any bleeding during pregnancy is threatened miscarriage unless proven otherwise and you have a sub-chorionic bleed which confirm...  Read Full »

Is it normal to vomit almost 10 times a day during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 13 weeks pregnant. I vomit almost 10 times a day. I could not focus on regular works at home. Lost 6 kg in 20 days. Is that normal? Feel moody more at times. But will having sex affect my baby?  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are vomiting frequently and has lost weight, you must see your local doctor as soon as possible for IV fluids and accurate management to control the vomiting. Excessive vomiting can adversely affect the baby as well as your health. And having sex does not affect...  Read Full »