Q. Can I take hCG or progesterone injection for spotting in pregnancy?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
Published on Nov 23, 2016

I am 7 weeks pregnant. I am passing clots and spotting is there for the last two weeks. USG revealed subchorionic hemorrhage, but the fetal heart rate is good. I am taking Susten 200 twice a day and Duphaston 10 once a day. My hCG is 18000 on the 7th week. Should I take hCG injection or progesterone injection?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• You are already on two forms of progesterone. It depends on the severity of your bleeding. If decreasing, then continue the same progesterone as you are taking now.
  • If not decreasing, then you need to discuss with your obstetrician. I do not think that an injection in addition can prevent bleeding. So, follow it up with ultrasound scan and decide.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Actually, my spotting decreased initially with medicine, but it has increased again. Is 18000, the value of hCG, insufficient at 7 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• HCG level - human chorionic gonadotropin level is analyzed after 48 hours to see its hike. It is not a single value that is important.
  • If bleeding is more, then get a scan tomorrow and consult your obstetrician.

| 

I had my USG before a week and they detected SCH. Still, I am having spotting. I just want to know whether I shall take Duphaston twice a day or HCG injection. Which medicine will help?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• Do you have only spotting? Still, you need to repeat your scan tomorrow.
  • If the heartbeat is present, then you can take an injection. Even Duphaston and Susten once or twice a day is equally effective.
  • The decision depends on the scan image, report and the severity of your bleeding.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Yes, I have been spotting for the last two weeks. I am very much concerned about the number of scans. Should I take Duphaston once or twice?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• I suggest Duphaston 10 mg two or three times a day in the initial days and then reduce it to once a day, as the spotting decreases. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • I can understand regarding your concern about repeated scans, but viability can be confirmed only by scan. If no heartbeat is found, then no point in taking all these medicines.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

Having endometriosis. Can I use Vitex with Duphaston to conceive ?

Query: Hi doctor,I have endometriosis, so my doctor placed me on Duphaston 10 mg, once a day. But, I am not ovulating, and I am trying to conceive. Can I use Vitex 20 mg together with it?  Read Full »

My wife underwent ICSI. Please go through the reports and provide your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has undergone ICSI three-day embryo transfer. One cell is compact grade and others are grade-B. She got pregnant successfully and the values were at DPT 14, HCG 577 and progesterone level 23 and DPT 16, HCG 1577 and progesterone level 23. Also, she had undergone TVS, and spo...  Read Full »