Q. Can I take hCG or progesterone injection for spotting in pregnancy?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair. B
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

I am 7 weeks pregnant. I am passing clots and spotting is there for the last two weeks. USG revealed subchorionic hemorrhage, but the fetal heart rate is good. I am taking Susten 200 twice a day and Duphaston 10 once a day. My hCG is 18000 on the 7th week. Should I take hCG injection or progesterone injection?

#

• You are already on two forms of progesterone. It depends on the severity of your bleeding. If decreasing, then continue the same progesterone as you are taking now.
  • If not decreasing, then you need to discuss with your obstetrician. I do not think that an injection in addition can prevent bleeding. So, follow it up with ultrasound scan and decide.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Actually, my spotting decreased initially with medicine, but it has increased again. Is 18000, the value of hCG, insufficient at 7 weeks of pregnancy?

#

• HCG level - human chorionic gonadotropin level is analyzed after 48 hours to see its hike. It is not a single value that is important.
  • If bleeding is more, then get a scan tomorrow and consult your obstetrician.

I had my USG before a week and they detected SCH. Still, I am having spotting. I just want to know whether I shall take Duphaston twice a day or HCG injection. Which medicine will help?

#

• Do you have only spotting? Still, you need to repeat your scan tomorrow.
  • If the heartbeat is present, then you can take an injection. Even Duphaston and Susten once or twice a day is equally effective.
  • The decision depends on the scan image, report and the severity of your bleeding.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Yes, I have been spotting for the last two weeks. I am very much concerned about the number of scans. Should I take Duphaston once or twice?

#

• I suggest Duphaston 10 mg two or three times a day in the initial days and then reduce it to once a day, as the spotting decreases. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • I can understand regarding your concern about repeated scans, but viability can be confirmed only by scan. If no heartbeat is found, then no point in taking all these medicines.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|