Q. I get a severe migraine after sex for more than 4 hours. Why?

Dr. Afifa Nighat
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

I am a 21-year-old female with a weight of 47 kilograms and a height of five feet. I have severe migraine after sex and it lasted for four hours. What to do?

#

It seems to be a sexual headache. It usually lasts for 24 to 72 hours. It usually occurs in the occipital area and it is unilateral. You can take Zolmitriptan nasal spray 5 mg. If you have repetitive attacks, then you need to take preventive therapy. If it lasts for more than 72 hours with associated signs such as loss of consciousness, confusion, and visual disturbance, then you need to seek medical help immediately.

You have exertion or excessive muscular contractions.

You need to do a CT (computed tomography) scan brain if the problem continues to rule out an aneurysm.

You can have a sexual headache or reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome (RCVS).

You can have a sexual headache.

You can use Zolmitriptan nasal spray 5 mg. For preventive therapy, you can take tablet Indomethacin 25 mg once daily before having sexual activity.

Avoid having excessive muscle contractions due to sexual activity. Being consciously relaxed during intercourse can help you to prevent it.

You can have a follow up at any time.

|