Q. My migraine medicine is causing side effects. What are my options?

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal

I am suffering from a migraine for the past five years. I took Sibelium for four years, but it caused me to put on so much weight. So, I stopped taking it. Now, I have a migraine again. What should I do?

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal

Diabetology
#

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

• A chronic migraine needs prophylactic treatment for decreasing the frequency of the migraine attacks and remission.
  • For management of a migraine, I suggest the following:
  1. Avoid fasting, skipping or delaying your meals.
  2. Avoid excessive chocolates or coffee.
  3. Take proper sleep and timely diet 
  4. Start on a prophylactic treatment.
  • The options available are Flunarizine, Amitryptiline, Topiramate, and di-valproate. You need to discuss with your treating neurologist about all these options, associated risks, and side effects.
  • The response to treatment will take about a month's time with these medications. For instant pain control, pain killers may be taken.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for further queries.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|