Q. My migraine medicine is causing side effects. What are my options?

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal
Published on Jul 30, 2017

I am suffering from a migraine for the past five years. I took Sibelium for four years, but it caused me to put on so much weight. So, I stopped taking it. Now, I have a migraine again. What should I do?

Dr. Surbhi Agrawal

Diabetology
#

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

• A chronic migraine needs prophylactic treatment for decreasing the frequency of the migraine attacks and remission.
  • For management of a migraine, I suggest the following:
  1. Avoid fasting, skipping or delaying your meals.
  2. Avoid excessive chocolates or coffee.
  3. Take proper sleep and timely diet 
  4. Start on a prophylactic treatment.
  • The options available are Flunarizine, Amitryptiline, Topiramate, and di-valproate. You need to discuss with your treating neurologist about all these options, associated risks, and side effects.
  • The response to treatment will take about a month's time with these medications. For instant pain control, pain killers may be taken.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for further queries.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Is the behavioral changes in my child due to antiepileptic drugs?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3 years 9 months now. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. He is taking Clobazam 15 mg at night and Topiramate 100 mg per day for last four months. His seizures are under control and he attends LKG. The issue is that he is not able to concentrate in his studies...  Read Full »

I suffer from headaches, insomnia, depression and anxiety. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from headaches for the past 80 days. I smoked four cigarettes every night and two every day early in the morning for 30 days, and then I stopped it with nicotine gum. From the past 160 days, I am suffering from insomnia. Five days after I quit smoking, I started ...  Read Full »