Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) are diseases that spread from person to person through sexual contact. Infectious organisms that inhabit the skin in the genital areas can be transmitted through vaginal secretions, semen, and blood during unprotected sex. Some of the most common STDs are chlamydia, chancroid, herpes, trichomoniasis, HIV, and human papillomavirus (HPV).

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Could I get infected by HIV by having sex with a CSW?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male, and a couple of months ago, I had availed an escort service. Ever since, I have been worrying all the time about possible HIV infection. I feel little embarrassed writing about all this. Please excuse if you find any content of my note below unwarranted. I will tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The answers to your queries are: An estimated 40 to 90 % of patients with acute HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection will experience acute retroviral syndrome, which includes fever, lymphadenopathy, pharyngitis, skin rash, myalgia, arthralgia, etc. These sympt...  Read Full »

Is the small bump under my penis genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. My height is 6'1" and weight 163 lbs. I have a small bump under the shaft of my penis. It looks like that it could be from masturbation, but I am not sure. There is no itching or burning. It is not an open sore either. I recently had protected oral sex with a sex worker...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It appears to be a wart (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have a history of HPV (human papilloma virus) in the past, the wart should be the first concern. HPV depending on the strain cause both genital and non-genital warts. They are not painfu...  Read Full »

I am a 31-year-old male. I had a hand job with a wax therapist. Am I at risk of any STD or HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I got waxing done at the spa. In the end, the therapist gave me a hand job. Nothing else happened. She was fully clothed, and I did not touch her genitals. I did not notice any cuts or bleeding on her hands. She told me she did a massage on a client sometime befo...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I saw your HIV test reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The chances of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by hand job are nil unless there are bleeding wounds on the hand. You have confirmed there was none in hand. Anyway,...  Read Full »

I fingered a masseuse. Am I at risk of sexually transmitted infections?

Query: Hi doctor, I had been to a spa for a body massage a week back. I was fingering the female massage therapist during the massage, and she also cummed on my fingers. I am unsure if I touched my penis with the cum, and there were no cuts on my fingers. However, I am worried about getting infected by HIV...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. The chances of transmitting the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by massage or fingering are zero unless there are bleeding wounds on the hand. If there are no bleeding wounds, the odds are nil. Skin-to-skin contact or kissing can transmit ...  Read Full »

Is the bump in the left side of my shaved penis a wart?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26 year old male. On Monday night, I trimmed my pubic hair and while doing so, I felt a nick while trimming the bottom left side of my penis. After that, I shaved with a razor. On Tuesday morning, I noticed a bump and thought it might have been from the nick, but now I am startin...  Read Full »

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query. From your description, the issue seems to be verruca plana or seborrhoeic keratosis. I suggest you go for cryotherapy. Until then, do not use a razor for shaving, as it might cause it to spread. For further queries consult a dermatolo...  Read Full »

Do I have soreness and a white patch on my genitals due to sexually transmitted infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I have soreness and a white patch on my genitals. I went to a nearby clinic, and the doctor told me that the white patch was due to sexually transmitted infections (STIs). I took the tablet Varimax, but I still see the white patch. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. I checked the attached images (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It could be due to a sexually transmitted infection if you had unprotected intercourse. I suggest you apply the T-bact (Mupirocin) ointment and underg...  Read Full »

I got tested for STD three months and a year after the intercourse, and both the results were negative. Should I still be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, How accurate is an STD test after a year time frame? The last time I had intercourse for two and half years, I got tested after three months, and the results came back negative. Then I tried again after a year, and it came out negative. Should I be worried? Or I do not need to take the st...  Read Full »

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have read your query and will guide you in your case. I assume you are asking about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) testing. There are different types of HIV screening testing available to detect possible exposure to the virus 1) Nucleic acid tests (NAT) - A NA...  Read Full »

I have a small, painful cyst on my penis. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a small cyst on my penis. Can you tell me what these little bumps are? They have been present for the last two weeks. I also have little pain. I try to crush it like a pimple, but it is impossible. It is inside the skin, like a ball.Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. Please share a picture of the affected area. If there was unprotected sex, then we need to think of sexually transmitted infections (STI). The following investigations can help, 1) Treponema Pallidum Hemagglutination (TPHA). 2) Herpes ...  Read Full »

I am worried if a sexually transmitted disease is causing the tingling and pinching sensations in my penis. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex for the first time last month. The next day I went in to take an STD test. All of the test results came back negative. Six days later, I went to take a chlamydia and gonorrhea test as I had a pinching feeling at the tip of my penis, and my balls had a burning sensat...  Read Full »

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to can understand your problem.Since the tests came negative, there is no need to get worried. Now coming to tingling-like symptoms over the penis or a scrotum, this could be due to anxiety. This should be ignored totally, and this will go away with time.I suggest you wear ...  Read Full »

Should I get treated for both HIV and hepatitis C at the same time?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a homosexual, and I regularly test myself for STDs. Unfortunately, I tested positive for both HIV and hepatitis C a week back. This is shocking and embarrassing to me. I always aimed at safe sex, but it did not give me a hand. I am 24 years old and have been sexually active for fiv...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Nothing is dangerous with medicines. Start treatment to prolong your life. Both are not curable. You can live 25 to 30 years with regular medication and a healthy diet. You can start treatment for both. High-potency medicines are very reactive, but you have to take the...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.