Sgpt

Are Vitamin D deficiency and SGPT values interrelated?

Query: Hi there, Im 27 years old male. I got my regular full body checkup done yesterday. In the reports, my sgpt is 52.52 (higher than normal) and bilirubin (indirect) is 1.01(higher than normal). Is there a sign of worry? Couple of months ago, I got vitamin d test done and it came out to be 4.9ng/ml ( e...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Although the two parameters are only slightly abnormal I can fully understand your worries. With a body height of ~188cm and a body weight of ~89kg it is unlikely that a metabolic syndrome with a fatty liver would be the explanation, although sometimes we see these symptoms also in patients wi...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take liver medicines along with BP medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I was detected with mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes. My SGOT is 52, SGPT 99, and GGT is 110. Doctor gave me Heptagon tablet twice daily, Nusam 200 twice daily, and Ursocol twice daily. Is it fine to take these medicines? Is it a heavy dose? Already, I am taking Tazloc 40, Nebi...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes. I have gone through your investigation reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and found that your triglycerides level...  Read Full »

What causes frequent stomach pain in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question regarding my daughter. She is 6 years old. Her symptoms are tummy ache around the abdomen area. The navel looks slightly swollen only during pain and she feels full after a few bites. The pain usually occurs in the morning upon waking up. In the last six months, she ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, I feel that your child has a particular liking to certain foods and does not like certain foods. She expresses the disliking by saying she has abdominal pain. Also, she does not have any other abdominal symptoms like vomiting or loose motions. Howe...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to lower SGPT levels.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She is suffering from jaundice for the past four months. Presently, as per her blood test, bilirubin 0.40 mg/dL, conjugated bilirubin 0.10 mg/dL, unconjugated bilirubin 0.30 mg/dL and ALT (SGPT) 57.00 U/L. The medicines she had been prescribed are Junior Lan...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To add to your knowledge, SGPT is a marker of inflammation of the liver (serum glutamic-pyruvate transaminase). Whenever there is some damage to the liver, the SGPT will rise along with serum bilirubin levels. During healing of the liver, the SGPT levels slightly raise...  Read Full »

My 18 months old baby has been passing light colored stools. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 18 months old. For many months, she has been passing stools that are white or very light yellowish brown or chalky color. I have seen my GP in the past and with just a feel of tummy they tell me everything is fine. I feel there is something else and just cannot seem to sett...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Passage of lemon white color stools along with the abdominal distention is suggestive of some liver pathology. Please do the following blood tests. SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase), serum bilirubin and CBC (complete blood count) to rule out liver pathology. ...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause high D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. D-dimer test is used to exclude deep vein thrombosis like thrombotic disorder.  Your D-dimer value (fibrin degradation product) is slightly high.  If clinically and from other investigations, thrombosis is not present then other causes for high false positive D-dimer...  Read Full »

How to lower the levels of SGPT and ALT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old and just got my recent routine blood test results. One specific factor which is my SGPT/ALT levels are high, specifically 110.60 U/L. My question is, should I be already alarmed? What are some factors I need to consider, and how can I lower it down?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it is of paramount importance to know what has led to this elevation of liver enzymes. This is of course abnormal report i.e. three times greater than the normal ALT (alanine transaminase) value. You do not seem to be overweight so the other possibilities a...  Read Full »

Can I take Udiliv continuously for decreasing SGPT levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic hepetatis B carrier stage. My last year DNA count was about 10. But my SGPT is usully around 100. And it reduces when I take tablet Udiliv 300 and SGPT again increases if I stop Udiliv tablet. Kindly suggest should I take tablet Udiliv continuously.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, it is not very unwise to start and stop the medicines like this. Because the medications like Udiliv are at times the last resort of treatment. Starting and stopping medicines while only measuring SGPT levels and not DNA and other liver tests, can poten...  Read Full »

What does it mean if SGPT is high?

Query: Hello doctor, My SGPT test result is 49. Is it dangerous for the liver?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, you did not share your body weight? Do you feel any symptoms like fatigue, weakness, or loss of energy? This information is important because only SGPT which is just nearly one and a half times raised cannot tell a diagnosis on its own. To answer your concern tha...  Read Full »

Do I need to take medication for chronic hepatitis B?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently diagnosed with chronic hepatitis B. Viral load is 6 million IU/ml, SGPT is 85 and others are in range, and HBeAg is 0.06. Should I start medication? Am I in danger? I am a 30-year-old male. I also have a loss of appetite, gastritis, and bloated stomach. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should definitely start the treatment. But I want you to get a baseline renal function tests and fibroscan of the liver. If renal functions are normal then we can start and continue the treatment at the maximum dose. You can use tablet Tenofovir 300 mg once...  Read Full »