Q. I have hepatomegaly with fatty changes and high SGOT, SGPT, and GGT. Kindly help.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I was detected with mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes. My SGOT is 52, SGPT 99, and GGT is 110.

Doctor gave me Heptagon tablet twice daily, Nusam 200 twice daily, and Ursocol twice daily. Is it fine to take these medicines? Is it a heavy dose?

Already, I am taking Tazloc 40, Nebistar 5 mg for BP, Roseday 5 mg, and Ecosprin 75. Is it advisable to take this many medicines a day?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from mild hepatomegaly with fatty changes.

I have gone through your investigation reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and found that your triglycerides level are slightly high.

Your SGOT (Serum Glutamic Oxaloacetic Transaminase), SGPT (Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase), and gamma-glutamyl transferase levels are also high.

Your current medication, like Roseday 5 mg, may increase SGPT and SGOT levels. Again fatty liver may increase the gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) level.

Continue your current medications and avoid fatty and oily foods.

Is it necessary to take Ursocol 150 along with these medicines?

#

Ursocol (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) 150 mg is used to dissolve and prevent gallstone formation and treat primary biliary cirrhosis. For what purpose, your prescribing doctor has advised taking this medication? It is quite uncertain here.

I think it will be better to contact your prescribing doctor before stop taking this medication.

|