Q. Causes of breathing difficulty?

Dr. Divakara. P

I feel difficulty breathing and take long deep breaths nowadays. Please recommend me some medicine.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Shortness of breath has many causes, like anemia (low hemoglobin) and diseases of the heart, lungs, and kidneys.

I need more information to help you out.

1. Is there chest pain and cough during shortness of breath?
  2. How old are you ?
  3. Are you diabetic?
  4. Do you have a history of hypertension, heart problems, or asthma?
  5. Are you a smoker?

I suggest you take tablet Unicontin E 400 mg once daily for the time being.

Please reply to me with the additional history and response to the tablet.

Thank you and take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I am a young adult with no diabetes, hypertension, or asthma history. And I do not smoke. Shortness of breath increases on exertion, but there is neither chest pain nor continuous cough. But I had tuberculosis eight years back and got treated with DOTS (directly observed therapy, short course).

Kindly guide me ahead as I am fearful of these symptoms.

#

As per your history, I suppose you could have low hemoglobin or cardiac problems, which are the causes of exertional breathlessness. And your previous history of tuberculosis would have caused lung damage leading to breathing difficulty. So, I advise you to get a chest X-ray PA view (posteroanterior), CBC (complete blood count), two-dimensional echocardiography, and creatinine levels.

Revert with your results, and there is nothing to be afraid of. Stay calm. Thank you and take care.

|