Q. Is shortness of breath related to thyroid issues?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had little shortness of breath with thick neck gland for a month. As I was on Thyronorm 50 mcg, I underwent a blood test for thyroid and here are my results:

Free T3 2.50 pg/mL ( 1.4-4.4).

Free T4 1.18 ng/dL (0.8-1.8).

TSH (Ultrasensitive) 8.31 μIU/mL (0.45-4.5).

I had increased the dosage from 50 mcg to 100 mcg for a month and now, I have nasal congestion and dizziness. When I breathe through my mouth, I do not have that much wheezing. Only nose breathing is an issue. Could you please tell me if the dose was high. What are the next steps I need to do?

#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism. From your tests, I would suggest that you decrease the dose of Thyronorm to 75 mcg once daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and change the dosage with their consent.

Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks of any dose change and then we will review again.

Regarding your congested nose, you can take Fluticasone nasal spray once at night till you feel better. Also, this nasal issue is unrelated to thyroid.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thanks for your response. I checked your response only now, as I was traveling. It is about five days since I stopped taking Thyronorm completely due to fear of being overmedicated after taking 100 mcg for a month. Today I have retaken thyroid test and here are my results.

#

I just read your results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would suggest that you take the dose of Thyronorm 75 mcg once daily.

Repeat your thyroid function test after six weeks and then we will review again. Good Luck.

|