Sickle Cell Disease

Please suggest a medicine for sickle cell anemia.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old, and I have sickle cell anemia. My Hb is 7.7 g/dL now. What medicines should I take?  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sickle cell anemia has no proper cure. The goal of Management is to: 1) Relieve pain (with pain killers). 2) Preventing infections. 3) Preventing complications. As you know in sickle cell anemia, red blood cells are abnormal in structure and function. So it needs...  Read Full »

Is it too risky for me to marry someone with sickle cell trait if I have beta thalassemia trait?

Query: Hi doctor, I have beta thalassemia plus trait (AT+) and want to marry a man with sickle trait (AS). Please see the attached file of my beta thalassemia DNA genetics. Please give me the possibilities of our baby. I know there is a 25 % chance that the baby might have sickle beta plus¬†thalassemia (ST...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thalassemia and sickle cell anemia are autosomal recessive disorders. In your case, the child can be thalassemia sickle cell carrier (heterozygous). The presentation will be mild to moderate...  Read Full »

Why do I have burning irritation in the middle portion of the penis after masturbation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old male. For the past four years, I have burning irritation in the middle portion of my penis after masturbation. The irritation gets relieved to some extent after I urinate. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. K V Anand

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Penile pain occurs due to infections or inflammation of the bladder or prostate. Trauma, persistent erection (priapism), cancers, and Peyronie's disease (the development of scar tissue within the penis) are the other causes. Sickle cell anemia may cause priapism due to ...  Read Full »

Does sickle cell disease affect life expectancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiance got sickle cell SD. He is 27 and does not suffer from anything else. He takes medication and changes blood every 4 to 6 months. My question is does it affect his life expectancy?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, in sickle cell anemia, blood transfusion is not needed. The prognosis depends on the severity of sickle cell. Dehydration, infection is a usual precipitant for sickle cell anemia. So it is better to avoid them and whenever having such incident, consult a doc...  Read Full »

I have sickle cell anemia and get pain during dehydration. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Sickle cell anemia is my problem. My age is 30 years, while dehydration time, I am getting pain. Is this issue dangerous?  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, sickle cell anemia is a disease where RBC shape changes while dehydration and oxygen level goes down in body. Usually red blood cell will be round and plate shape. During dehydration and less oxygen time the shape of the red blood cell becomes sickle shape. No...  Read Full »