Q. What is the life expectancy of a sickle cell disease patient?

My fiance got sickle cell SD. He is 27 and does not suffer from anything else. He takes medication and changes blood every 4 to 6 months. My question is does it affect his life expectancy?

Hematology Pathology
#

Usually, in sickle cell anemia, blood transfusion is not needed. The prognosis depends on the severity of sickle cell. Dehydration, infection is a usual precipitant for sickle cell anemia. So it is better to avoid them and whenever having such incident, consult a doctor immediately. Sickle cell anemia patient's median age can be considered between 50 to 60 years but still, the exact specific prognosis cannot be predicted.

| 

Can infection on penis cause severe itching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from an infection on my penis. I am using Clotrimazole cream over the infection. Once I miss applying cream a day, the penis gets infected with red patches, pus-filled boils and there is severe itching. My partner is not affected by any problem though we are sexually activ...  Read Full »

Ringworm Infections

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the preventive measures for ringworm infections. Read Article

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Medical Name: Tinea corporis This is an infective condition of the skin that is caused by fungus which has tendency to grow fast in the hot, humid regions of the body. Facts About Ringworm Infections: Ring worm infection affects people of all age groups and has a worldwide distribution. It...  Read Article

Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these p...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now