Q. What causes pain during dehydration in a sickle cell anemia patient?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Sickle cell anemia is my problem. My age is 30 years, while dehydration time, I am getting pain. Is this issue dangerous?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Yes, sickle cell anemia is a disease where RBC shape changes while dehydration and oxygen level goes down in body. Usually red blood cell will be round and plate shape. During dehydration and less oxygen time the shape of the red blood cell becomes sickle shape. Now RBC will stick together and block the blood vessels and produce ischemia.

So to reduce the obstruction, you need fluids more. If obstruction is in lung, spleen, kidney or any organ, it is dangerous and severe painful. So avoid dehydration conditions, do not do severe exercise, avoid going to hill stations where oxygen is less. Drink adequate water.

| 

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

How is the prognosis of a child with abnormal hemoglobin pattern?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is going to adopt a 6 months old female child. Certain routine tests were performed on the child. I have attached the reports for your reference. The Hb electrophoresis for thalassemia screening is showing an abnormal hemoglobin pattern. The treating pediatrician is not sure abo...  Read Full »