Q. What causes pain during dehydration in a sickle cell anemia patient?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Sickle cell anemia is my problem. My age is 30 years, while dehydration time, I am getting pain. Is this issue dangerous?

Do you have a question on Sickle Cell Disease or Dehydration?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. C Elanchezhian

M.D GEN,MEDICINE

Yes, sickle cell anemia is a disease where RBC shape changes while dehydration and oxygen level goes down in body. Usually red blood cell will be round and plate shape. During dehydration and less oxygen time the shape of the red blood cell becomes sickle shape. Now RBC will stick together and block the blood vessels and produce ischemia.

So to reduce the obstruction, you need fluids more. If obstruction is in lung, spleen, kidney or any organ, it is dangerous and severe painful. So avoid dehydration conditions, do not do severe exercise, avoid going to hill stations where oxygen is less. Drink adequate water.

Also Read Answers From: Sickle Cell Disease Dehydration

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?
Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This could be a sign of: Dehydration. Urinary tract infection. Excessive fatigue. Alcohol. Marijuana and other substances intoxication or withdrawal. Postictal state (seizure). Electrolyte disturbances. Others would also include infection of the central nervous system ...  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full »

Please suggest the future prognosis of a child with abnormal hemoglobin pattern.
Query: Hi doctor, My friend is going to adopt a 6 months old female child. Certain routine tests were performed on the child. I have attached the reports for your reference. The Hb electrophoresis for thalassemia screening is showing an abnormal hemoglobin pattern. The treating pediatrician is not sure abo...  Read Full »
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Looking at the report of HbD trait (hemoglobin D), the prognosis is excellent. The child will be very rarely transfusion dependent and mostly asymptomatic. ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now