Q. I have sickle cell anemia and my Hb is 7. 7g/dL. What medicines should I take?

Dr. Amit Arora
Published on Nov 01, 2019

I am 29 years old, and I have sickle cell anemia. My Hb is 7.7 g/dL now. What medicines should I take?

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

Sickle cell anemia has no proper cure. The goal of Management is to:

1) Relieve pain (with pain killers).

2) Preventing infections.

3) Preventing complications.

As you know in sickle cell anemia, red blood cells are abnormal in structure and function. So it needs a frequent blood transfusion. However, stem cell therapy, a newly emerging branch have some hope, but it is not frequently available. Through this therapy, it is possible to generate normal red blood cells from bone marrow after stem cell transplantation, this could be a hope for you.

If your case is severe then consult your doctor and discuss about Hydroxyurea (Hydroxycarbamide), which is a medicine and help, and you will need a lesser blood transfusion.

What can I feed my wife to increase hemoglobin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's hemoglobin is only 6.7. Why is it so? What should I feed her to increase Hb level?  Read Full >>

Dr. Ritesh Kumar Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Low hemoglobin is either due to blood loss or the body not being able to form enough blood due to various causes including bone marrow disorders. So, it is better to get her PBS (peripheral blood smear) done. Meanwhile, in diet and supplements, give her apples, pomegra...  Read Full

Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these p...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerendra Patil
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, your friend seems to be having sickle beta thalassemia. It is common to see both these diseases together in communities where both the diseases are prevailing. Actually, the severity of sickle cell disease comes down by elevation of HbF (fetal ...  Read Full

My wife's fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin. Can she travel abroad?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife went for a master health checkup. Her fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin and other blood test parameters. Her hemoglobin was 8 g/dL, ESR was 25, hematocrit was 26.8, MCV was 62.3, MCH was 18.8, MCHC was 30.0, and RDW was 21.4 %. Can you please chec...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your wife has microcytic hypochromic anemia. The common causes of microcytic hypochromic anemia are iron-deficiency anemia, sideroblastic anemia, thalassemia minor, and anemia of chronic ...  Read Full