Q. I feel nausea and fatigue on taking regular birth control pills. Why?

Dr. Vidya
Published on Dec 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 14, 2019

I have recently been feeling nauseous and fatigued. I have a paranoia about being pregnant, but I am not sure if I should be worried or not. For about a year I have been consistently taking the birth control pill, every night at the same time. The last time I had sex was the day before my period was supposed to occur (according to my BCP schedule). It was without a condom, and my partner ejaculated inside of me. The next day I got my period and it was normal. A week after I finished my period I started to feel nauseous. I stayed on the pill and had my period again at the correct time. It was a bit lighter than normal but still enough to fill a tampon or two. I have just started back on the pills and feel slightly nauseous again. Do you think I have cause to be concerned? Or is everything normal?

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The nauseous feeling you are experiencing on and off is most probably related to the birth control pills you are on and by the history you are giving, there is a least chance of being pregnant. So you need not worry. Nausea is a very common side effect with pill usage. I would suggest you take an anti-emetic tablet after seeing your doctor for a few days. It must subside with it, if that does not have any effect, then you may need to switch over to a different combination pill that would suit you. Sometimes even hormonal changes in the body during and after menses or at the time of a forthcoming menses could cause nausea. Make sure you drink lots of water.

| 

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

Have started my contraceptive pills on the third day. Would they be effective?

Query: Hi doctor, I have started taking Novelon birth control pills from the third day of my period. Will this contraception be enough? This is the first time I am using the pills. Please advise.  Read Full »

I noticed white strings in my stool. I hope it is not parasites. Please help.

Query: Hi, I am a 34 year old female. I noticed what looks like white strings in my stool. I am also having symptoms like abdominal cramps and pain, severe fatigue, memory issues, dizziness, and sometimes constipation. I am hoping it is not parasites. Please help.  Read Full »