Q. What are the chances of acquiring sinus infection after severe cold?

Dr. A.k.srivastava
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

Is it normal to get sinus (its symptoms) after a severe cold for more than five days? I have the symptoms of

1. Nasal congestion.

2. Pressure or plugged ears.

3. Pain in the right side of the face.

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Welcome in icliniq.com.

About your query having a chain of symptoms for cold to sinusitis is correct, and here I would like to tell you the underlying pathology in this development is as under. Initially, the patient develops cold that may be allergic or infective. If anyhow cold gets prolonged, the nearby sinuses start developing an infection due to loss of ciliary movement of their lining mucosa. In this way, sinusitis develops, as soon as sinusitis appears, which in turn secretes mucus that remains collected in the sinus cavity, and the patient feels heaviness in the head and later headache.

The collection of sinuses than move to the nasal cavity and move posteriorly to the throat that is named as postnasal drip. By this drip, soreness appears in the throat and from here (throat) there is a tubular connection to the middle ear (eustachian tube) which gives way the infection to reach to the middle ear and at this stage patient feels clogged ear.

Similarly in treatment

1. Treat the infection of nose and sinus (by suitable antibiotic).

2. Liquefy the collected fluid (by steam inhalation).

3. Treat the swelling of inflammation by anti-inflammatory drugs to restore the ciliary movement of cilia of lining mucosa.

I hope your query is answered, but if still, anything is not clear, please free to re-consult us.

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »

I have cold, cough and chest pain. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been very cold for weeks. I have a runny nose, my body hurts, I have a cough, and a few days ago I had chest pains that lasted some minutes.  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »