Q. What can be done to manage sinusitis with ear blockage and nasal drip?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

I am female, 25 years old, 159 cm and 52 kg. I have experienced sinusitis last year, I felt pressure behind my left eyes and it went away after 4 days. Then I noticed my left ear is slightly blocked and slight post nasal drip, I went to a ENT specialist at my vacation destination and was given Amoxicillin for 3 days, and later Augmentin and Amoxicillin for 5 days. I felt my ear was getting better but it did not fully recover. Back in my country, it is dificult to see a specialist so I finally went to onenext month. Eardrum normal, hearing test came back normal and I was given Nasonex and Loratadine and was told to give it sometime and wait for the next appointment.

I went to another specialist and was given another course of antibiotics and oxy-nase for 2 weeks and was told to do the exercise of pinching my nose and swallow. Due to covid19 I am unable to visit the doctor again. Recently I found out if I lay on my left side for a period of time my left ear will feel more blocked and a slight hearing loss, it goes away 5 to 10 mins after I sit upright. When I am bloated in the morning after waking up, my swollen left eye would go away slower than my right eye. What is wrong with me?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

I can understand your concern, happy that you could connect over here, in times of outbreak when going outside will not be safe. I have read your query and you have mentioned everything so clearly. Now coming to the point of your query, the symptoms you are experiencing is due to middle ear infection, one thing I would still need to know that if the doctor had a look inside your ear and told there was no rupture of tympanic membrane, if not, then this can be purely middle ear infection and may take some time to subside.

Other reasons can be sinusitis, wax impact, which can take longer time to recover. Although clogged ear can be annoying, here are some tips that can help alleviate the symptoms. Continue to do Valsalva maneuver, inhale steam, take OTC medicine as advised by your doctor. Do not use earplugs, earbuds, avoid any kind of water going to ears. Resting or sleeping sitting up rather than lying down can help fluid in your ear drain. This could ease pressure and pain in your middle ear. Prop yourself up in bed with a stack of pillows, or sleep in an armchair that leans back a bit. If all of the above things are helping alleviate the symptoms, then I would not worry and only give time for sinusitis to resolve. Please feel free to reach out in case of any doubt

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why is there some discomfort after using Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, When I was using Q-tips to clean my ears, I slipped and I may have gone a little too deep with one. I felt a little discomfort in my ear. That was three days ago and I still feel a little weird in that area. Could I have ruptured or punctured my eardrum? Is it important to go to an ear...  Read Full »

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Are ear infection and constant ear pain indicative of any eardrum problem?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient had three tympanoplasty surgeries in the past, the most recent being a decade ago. She has 10 % hearing in one ear where surgery was performed. Recently, the patient developed an ear infection. Black and white fungus detected in the air. ENT used a micro-suction device to ...  Read Full »