Q. I had bleeding from ear due to q-tip. Is it due to damage of eardrum or bony canal membrane?

Dr. Sanjeev Davey

When cleaning out my ear, I forced the q-tip too deep and blood came out. There was no stream of blood, but after mostly lying on my side while sleeping, I found very small dots on my pillow (I would say the size of the tip of a pencil). There is little to no hearing loss after a full night. However, I often have to swallow to pop my ear. I did some research on my own, but I am not certain if this is damage to the bony canal membrane or to the eardrum. Do you think this is an emergency that requires a visit to the ENT or not?

#

Please see an ENT specialist as early as possible to get your eardrum checked.

Trauma.

Pure tone audiogram and otoscopy.

TM (tympanic membrane) perforation.

TM perforation.

Avoid water entry during the bath.

|