Q. I spilt hot tea on my thighs. What should I apply for rapid healing?

Tea spilled on my thighs last night and I can see swelling filled with water now. I have already applied silverex ointment yesterday night. What should I apply for rapid healing? 

Dr.Hariharan V
MBBS., MD., D DIAB
Diabetology, General Medicine, Internal Medicine, Nutritionist

• Hot beverage spillage usually causes severe burning sensation, but there is no reason to get alarmed if managed properly. From what you have said, I guess that the scalded area is small. If it is so, the first thing you have to do is to apply water and wash the wound. Hope you have already done so.
  • After that, there should be absolutely no contact with water for the next few days. You have applied Silverex ointment (Silver sulfadiazine), which is a wise decision. Apply it twice daily for the next 3-4 days. If the wound is painful, buy Xylocaine Jelly and apply both Xylocaine and Silverex together twice daily. 
  • Scalds usually need open space to heal. No closed dressing is needed.
  • Regarding the bleb (swelling with colorless fluid inside it), buy a sterile needle from a pharmacy and prick it. If more than one bleb is present, prick all of them and let the fluid drain. Apply both the oinments afterwards. 
  • Do not soil the wound. Prevent sand or water falling on the wound. It will cause infection.
  • No need to take antibiotics if the wound size is small.

Yes, I applied cold water/ice yesterday after the injury. But today morning, I cleaned the wound little bit with water using cotton.

1) How do I clean the wound as there is a layer formed over the wound due to the ointment (Silverex)?

2) Also as the burn is in my thigh and I need to go to office tomorrow, can I wear a jeans? How long will this take to heal?

3) Can you please suggest some ointment for scar removal as well?

I have attached a picture of the injured area.

Dr.Hariharan V
MBBS., MD., D DIAB

I have viewed the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Follow these steps:

• Go to a pharmacy and buy the following items: 100 ml NS (Normal Saline) - 1 number, Bactigras (Sofra Tulle gauze)-1 number, sterile cotton, sterile needles.
  • The picture you have attached shows blebs that are small. You have to prick them one by one using the sterile needle.
  • After all the fluid comes out, open the normal saline, wet the cotton with normal saline and rub over the wound until all the old ointment layer is gone.
  • After cleaning as mentioned above, apply both the ointments on the wound.
  • There should be no cloth contact with the wound. Since you have to go to office tomorrow, open the Sofra Tulle gauze, cut it into 4 pieces. Save the other three for next three days. Take one piece today and remove the wrapper from both sides and stick the gauze over the wound. You can go to office with that. But you cannot wear jeans as it will cause much friction and might remove the gauze. So, wear loose pants.
  • In the evening, remove the gauze and apply the ointment once again.
  • Repeat this every day morning for the next three days.
  • Usually (Aloegrace) Aloe vera gel application, once the wound is completely healed is enough for scar removal. You have to apply it every night for a month. No need to apply it now. Let the wound completely heal.

Thanks a lot doctor,

I followed all the steps as you have mentioned, just that I did not use the Bactigras, as I thought it would stick to the wound and it may get difficult for me to remove it. The wound got rubbed off by the clothes all day in office. Is there any other brand of Bactigras or something because I am not getting that easily.

Dr.Hariharan V
MBBS., MD., D DIAB

The Sofra Tulle gauze (Bactigras) is a wet gauze. It is the only dressing which can be removed painlessly. It is easy to use. This Sofra Tulle gauze will not stick and it will not be painful when you try to remove. It is very easy to apply and remove. It is like a patch. 

You can ask the pharmacist by the name "Sofra Tulle Gauze". Sofra Tulle gauze comes in many brands:

1. Bactigras.

2. Drez gauze.

3. Ceptigras.

4. Paraffin gauze.

It will take just 3 to 4 days for the wound to become dry. Please wear loose fitting clothes as I had told before.

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask a General Practitioner »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.