Q. I am having rashes all over the body. Is it due to psoriasis?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2019

About 12 days ago I started getting a raised red rash on my stomach and upper leg/thigh area. Maybe about 15-20 spots on my stomach and same about on my legs each. At first I though it was some from of psoriasis as I have small psoriasis patch on my shins, elbows, and foot. After a couple more days I was getting red spots on my arms. 12 days later I have this red rash all over my body, stomach, breasts, chest, legs upper and lower, pubic area, back, arms, feet, hands, face and scalp. The rash is not blistery or puss filled, they are about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. There seems to be dry skin on top of the spot, but not scaly dry skin like psoriasis.

There has been no change in my diet, bathing habits, cleaners, or degenerates. My husband is not having any similar symptoms, no spots on him at all, so bed bugs and scabies are out. We have a cat, so I have checked him for fleas or ticks and he is clean. Over the last 2 weeks I have been taking epson and oatmeal baths, to try and elevate itch and redness, they rash seems to get swollen after a bath. Nothing seems to be helping this rash go away, I have been drinking only water for the last five days, cut sugar out of my diet as much as I can. I have also been taking Benadryl for the last 5 days as well. I have tried eczema creams, tea tree oil, white vinegar, anything to clear up and treat my rash and nothing is working. I would just like to know what this rash is so I can take the necessary precautions to get rid of it.

#

From the description of lesions and pictures attached (attachment removed to proetct patient identity), there could be a few possibilities like eruptive psoriasis, lichen planus, pityriasis rosea, pityriasis lichenoides, etc. As you already have history of psoriasis, eruptive or guttate psoriasis is most likely. It usually presents as numerous rain drop like red lesions covered with mild scales. It is often preceded by sore throat, fever, bacterial infection, any new medicine use, stress, etc. From your side, you should use a good emollient and a mild steroid cream. Also, a consultation with doctor is required for proper clinical examination and prescription. Avoid tea tree oil and vinegar as it may irritate and harm skin.

|