Sleep Apnea

My heart rate increases at night. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my heart rate when I have been sleeping. I will occasionally see on my heart rate tracker that my heart rate will spike at night to average around 130 to 160 a lot during the night. But I am still sleeping, and it does not wake me up, and I am worried something...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you overweight? Do you snore or have obstructive sleep apnea? Now we have to investigate whether this elevation in heart rate shown by a device is sinus tachycardia, artifacts or cardiac arrhythmia. So, you need further evaluation to diagnose. Cardiac arrhythmia ...  Read Full »

My sleep is very disturbed. Is this anxiety-related?

Query: Hello doctor,This all began about two and a half months ago when I went through an extremely stressful period. I started having trouble sleeping. The stressful period has long passed but my sleep still is not back to normal. For the past six to eight weeks, I can easily fall asleep, but wake up eve...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is known as an inability to maintain sleep wherein falling asleep and waking is unaltered, but there are multiple sleep breaks occurring. You describe it as being recent in onset, persistent, started after a very stressful period and most importantly, you...  Read Full »

Is there any relation between excessive sleepiness and cardiac insufficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, I am wondering about the connection seen between my excessive fatigue or sleeping issue with cardiac insufficiency. I have excessive sleepiness due to mild sleep apnea. But I have a strange disconnect regarding exertion. Even, a slight anaerobic activity reduces my breath and it takes ti...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, daytime sleepiness occurs due to sleep apnea. If it is present in its severe obstructive form, it can cause a host of cardiac diseases like atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease, and heart failure. The exercise intolerance initially develops the consequence ...  Read Full »

Chronic Granulomatous Disease And Sleep Apnea Connected To Each Other?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53 year old army veteran, served for 33 years, who was diagnosed while serving in the army with chronic granulomatous disease and sleep apnea. When I filed a Veterans Administration (VA) claim, the VA rated me for compensation but combined the ratings into one rating. This mean...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic granulomatous disease (CGD) is an immunodeficiency condition where the white blood cells cannot fight the pathogens effectively which cause different types of infections. As for sleep apnea, it is caused by narrowing of the air passages mostly in the nasopha...  Read Full »

Can High Blood Pressure Be The Reason For The Bloody Mucus From My Throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I had mucus from the throat, and it had minor blood in it. I went to the ER, and the blood pressure was 190/110. The doctors told the bleeding had to do with the blood pressure as the bleeding stopped as soon as blood pressure reducing pills were given orally. I had blood tests done to...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all your reports you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and they are normal. I am glad that despite very high blood pressure you have ended up having only minor bleeding, which I believe, was a warning sign. I would reco...  Read Full »

I have been facing excessive sleeping. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been facing excessive sleeping for the last two weeks. Even after having a sound sleep for 6 to 8 hours at night I find it difficult to wake up. I feel sleepy all day long. If I think of taking a nap in the afternoon, then it again lasts for 3 to 4 hours and aga...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the symptoms I feel sorry for your health condition. It is bothersome for sure. The causes may be depression or anxiety, thyroid disease, lack of motivation or aim ahead in life and sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep apnea syndrome is that no matter how long you sleep at ni...  Read Full »

Why do I wake after sleeping with high heart rate and breathing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I nearly wake up every night two to three hours after I go to bed. Symptoms are high heart rate (150 to 170) and breathing problems. My heart has been diagnosed and today I got an X-ray of my lung. What I think is strange. I only wake up, when I lie on my right side. I never woke up w...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed your X-ray images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). X-ray chest PA view and X-ray chest lateral view. The lung markings are mildly prominent and it can be a normal finding in many individuals and some people with hyperactive airways due to ...  Read Full »

Is my sleeping problem due to apnea or swollen tonsil?

Query: Hello doctor, For a week or more I have not been able to sleep. Right before I fall asleep I wake myself up. It seems like some sort of apnoea event but I do not know if it is related to swollen tonsils or if its a bigger problem. I am going to the doctor this week but wanted an opinion online espe...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the video (attachment removed to protect identity). Your tonsils are enlarged. Probably because of that you have apnea. Do you have any history of any chronic illness like diabetes or hypertension, etc.? Are you on any regular medications? Also, let me know ...  Read Full »

Will diastolic dysfunction lead to heart failure?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 98 kg. I have been having balancing problems for over a year. It is some form of sensory ataxia. I also have compression in C4-C5 and C5-C6 cervical spine. I also have severe sleep apnea. I had some breathlessness and chest discom...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and keen observation. Yes, diastolic dysfunction can cause heart failure. But, we need to find out the reason here. Sleep apnea is one additive factor and need to treat it. Also, you need to...  Read Full »

Can balancing issue occur due to vestibular lesion or cervical myelopathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 45 year old male. My weight is 96 kg and height is 184 cm. I have severe sleep apnea and minor CAD with hypertension. I am facing problems of imbalance and lightheadedness. This started some six months back. Then, I was diagnosed with an uncompensated vestibular lesion. After a wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you gave me, it looks like your imbalance is due to a condition called cervical myelopathy. The examination findings of your spine specialist also correlate with your diagnosis. This happens when there is undue pressure or compression of the spinal...  Read Full »