Q. MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Answered by Dr. Aida Quka and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ischemic Stroke or Aspirin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (more than five years). If so, some recent research indicates that these cerebral changes might be partially reversible with CPAP treatment. Please let me know your professional opinion and suggested investigations and/or treatment.

Patient history: She is a 63-year-old businesswoman with a history of breathing difficulties such as allergies, and bronchial inflammation diagnosed by sputum analysis. It is moderately well controlled by inhaled medication (Ciclesonide and Salbutamol). She has untreated sleep apnea for more than five years and no other chronic illness. Imaging: MR upper abdomen: non-alcoholic fatty liver, right renal cyst.MRCP: normal. CT thorax: suspected tracheal diverticulum. MR brain: lacunar stroke, ischemic changes. Laboratory: Laboratory investigations are all within the normal range. Physical: BP: 148/78.P: 113.SO2: 98 %.