Q. Why do I snore and gasp for air at night even after using CPAP?

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

I had a sleep study test, and I showed the CPAP test to the Respiratory therapist. The RT said my study was qualified. I took this as I continued to gasp for air and snore at night, disturbing my boyfriend. Also, I feel tired through out the day. Currently, I am taking tablet Lexapro and tablet Buspar. Please help.

#

I understand your concern. I have gone through your sleep study reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Your AHI (apnea-hypopnea index) is less than five, which is normal. It does not qualify for being labeled as sleep apnea. CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) is indicated only when AHI is more than 15. You do not suffer from sleep apnea. Coming to your symptoms, if you are tired throughout the day, in my opinion, it could be due to tablet Lexapro (Escitalopram Oxalate). I would suggest changing your antidepressant to something that helps with energy, like the tablet Desvenlafaxine.

For excess snoring, you can try these things:

1) Get your serum sodium level done. Sometimes tablet Lexapro could cause low sodium, which might increase snoring.

2) Try to sleep on your side rather than on your back.

3) Visit an oral doctor/dentist who can give you a proper mouthguard to help reduce snoring.

4) Reduce some weight. Tablet Desvenlafaxine at night can help in this as well.

|