Q. How far will short term medication help in fixing my sleeping disorder?

Dr. Pedro Paulino Matos

I am a 27-year-old male with a sleeping disorder. I have difficulty in falling asleep in the night and has difficulty in getting back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. I need to masturbate in order to fall asleep. I suffer delayed sleep phase disorder. This has made it difficult for me to maintain a normal job. During college time, I did not use to sleep one night before exam because of fear of not getting up on time. What is light therapy and chronotherapy? How can they help? I have daytime fatigue. If there are any medicines which I can take for a short time, please suggest. I am facing this problem since last 10 years.

#

Sleep disorders are very common. Normally hygienic measures could be helpful to alleviate the symptoms. Also, it could be a symptom of other disorders, however, in your particular situation that does not seem to be the case. Melatonin is effective in regulating the synchronization of the circadian rhythms of physiological functions like sleep timing. Of course, the are pharmacological options that can be useful in acute cases or during a short-time course like Lorazepam 1-2 mg, Lormetazepam 2 mg. If that does not work please feel free to contact me again.

I took Melatonin for some days and sometimes it worked well. However, on important occasions, even it did not work like I just cannot sleep a night before exam or any other important occasion the next morning. Even Melatonin fails. I am writing this to you as I tried to sleep last night after taking Melatonin, but have not been able to yet. Is this a serious disorder or some other underlying problem? I do not really understand.

#

Melatonin is more for sleep and circadian rhythm regulation and not that useful if what you pretend is to induce sleep. To induce sleep Lorazepam or Lormetazepam are better. But you must be careful when using it before an important date (like the night right before an exam) as if you are not accustomed, it could affect your concentration and produce somnolence. Recovering data from your first query that does not seem a serious disorder. Although sleep disorders could be related to other disorders, like mood or anxiety disorders. It is common to see them during stressful periods like exams or job interviews. Above all, you should reduce all stimulant drinks, avoid sleeping after lunch or doing exercise after 6 pm. And it is important to establish a sleep timetable.

|