Q. I have problems falling and staying asleep. Please comment on my EEG reports.

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
Published on Nov 18, 2019

Could you please analyze the EEG recording enclosed and provide me with a detailed diagnosis?

The reason for this examination is that I have problems falling and staying asleep for two years. I sleep only three to four hours a day, with common medication not or poorly working, and also I am suffering from memory impairment, which is worsening in the last two to three weeks.

My current medication is Triazolam 0.375 mg and Prothipendyl 120 mg. PS: "Augenbewegung" on the recording means eye movement.

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The EEG (electroencephalogram) looks normal. There is no evidence of epilepetic activity. There are some changes which are benign (marked by blue pen) and no need to worry about that. I would like to know more about the type of sleep disorder you have. How many hours do you sleep? How many times do you wake up? Do you fall asleep during the day? Have you had sudden sleep attacks? Any history of sleep paralysis? Any history of acting out of dreams? Was any MRI done? Have you undergone polysomnography? Any family history of similar problems? Have you tried tablet Modafinil?

I sleep approximately for three to four hours. I stay awake though taking sleeping drugs for three to four hours until I finally get some rest. I do not sleep during the day and no sleeping attacks. Before falling asleep I sometimes feel like my heart is stopping to beat. No acting out of dreams that I would be aware of. No family records due to the fact that I am adopted. MRI scan is currently under approval by the social insurance agency. Waiting lists for polysomnography are miles long.

Could you perhaps tell me about the nature of these benign changes?

#

The changes in the EEG are called benign EEG variants which are seen in normal individuals that resemble epileptic activity but do not carry any epileptogenic potential, and hence, not at all related to what you are suffering from.

I wanted to know a little more history regarding your symptoms as in do you feel anxious throughout the day? Do you feel that excessive thoughts hamper your sleep? Do you feel any low mood, lack of interest in daily activities?

Could my insomnia be due to increase in Zoloft dosage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking 100 mg of Zoloft for a number of years. On 14th, my doctor added another 50 mg which I take at bedtime. For the past few days, I have been experiencing severe insomnia and can rarely sleep for more than an hour at a time. In addition, I have begun taking 25 mg of Se...  Read Full »

Why do I get agitated, mentally hyperactive, cannot sleep and get suicidal thoughts?

Query: Hello doctor, It was five years back when I encountered sleep problem for the first time, and at that point, I was doing a night shift. I consulted a doctor, and he suggested me the medicine Clonazepam 0.5 mg. I had continued Clonazepam 0.5 mg for 1 year. After more than a year, I got to know from a...  Read Full »

I have pain,extreme fatigue,unsteadiness and muscle twitching.I do not know if all these symptoms are related to one issue or more.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had this problem for 8 years with no proper solutions. Please help. Strange sensations, tiredness, feeling of heaviness in the arms and legs. Hands and feet become warm. I have an electrical shock like feeling in face. I have extreme fatigue, unsteadiness and muscle twitching...  Read Full »