Q. What is the treatment for sleep paralysis?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

I am a 21 year old male, who weighs 70 kg and I am 5.6 feet tall. I am having a lot of problems while waking up in the morning. I cannot move my body when I get up in the morning. It happens when I have a disturbed sleep. One of my friend, who is not a physician and a patient of sleep paralysis himself, diagnosed my condition to be a case of paralysis.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• Your condition is not "paralysis." It is likely to be a sleep disorder called sleep paralysis.
  • First and foremost, maintain a natural circadian rhythm. This means that you have to go to sleep at the same time every day and get up at the same time. Have an alarm for going to sleep. This is most important, as soon as the alarm goes off, stop the work you are doing and hit the bed. Going to sleep at proper time every day is the single most efficient method to cure insomnia or sleeplessness. Those who sleep too much need an alarm for waking up. But, if your problem is sleeplessness, you need an alarm for going to sleep as well.
  • The next part of the solution lies in proper food. Avoid coffee, tea, or other stimulants after 6 PM. You can take milk.
  • Close the windows, use dark curtains on the windows, avoid flickering lights in the room, avoid watching TV, using mobile phones or tablets in the bed.
  • Simple methods like taking a bath or walking for 45 minutes after dinner will also help.

Try these simple steps for four weeks, and you will find the difference yourself.

Revert after four weeks to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|