Q. I am just 14 years old and I experience extreme pain in my hip. What could it be?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 20, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2018

I am a 14 year old female. My height is 5'5", and I weigh about 140 pounds. I experience extreme pain in my hip. It is difficult for me to walk or climb stairs. Also, it keeps me awake at night. Please help.

#

My worry here is that you may have a Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE) and you need an urgent orthopedic opinion to help rule this out. The reason I say so is that the pain and limp from the hip in an adolescent has only a few causes one of which is SCFE. The other cause is an infection and it is equally important.

I hope you ask your parents to arrange a visit to an orthopaedician for physical examination at the earliest. This will certainly help, as a full examination of the hip and x-rays and blood reports will help clear any doubts.

Thank you doctor.

What exactly is a Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis? What are treatments I would need? Would I need surgery?

#

The condition Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis is an adolescent hip disorder. SCFE happens in children who are approaching puberty especially when they are overweight (obese). There is slowing down of bony growth at the hip. Subsequently, a weak spot occurs in the growth cartilage. Then slips due to overweight leading to a painful limp and difficulty in movement.

Not always surgery is required. But, if a painful limp is present, then surgery is needed. Get the physical examination and tests done. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, the treatment may be decided accordingly.

|