Q. If problem is in hip joint then why do I have pain in the knee?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2019

I am 24 years old. I have stiffness and pain in thighs and knees for more than a year. I cannot sit properly and stand up instantly. I am having problem in each and every activity involving legs. I have reduced mobility and flexibility of legs. My report shows AVN stage 3 of hip joint, for which I have been suggested hip replacement surgery. My question is that, if problem is in hip joint then why I have so many problems with knees? When I stand up, my knee gets blocked and I cannot stand instantly. There is cracking sound in knees when I sit or stand up. I am worried whether I have some other problem in knees also.

#

Hip avascular necrosis (AVN) and hip arthritis causes pain in the affected hip and also sometimes in the knees as the same nerve which supplies the hip also supplies the knee joint. It is called as obturator nerve. This nerve supplies both the joints.

So if there is hip joint pain, many patients also get pain in the knee joint. But, also to be sure if nothing is wrong with the knee joint, you should take x-rays and document it. Get x-ray of the knee joint both in anteroposterior view (AP) and lateral view and then get a follow up done to confirm your problem.

| 

Please give a second opinion on my hip joint pain treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63 year old male. I had polio affected right leg, but have been leading a normal life since then. Recently, I developed pain in the right thigh joint, but able to walk normally. In some positions, it is painful. I have got my MRI study of the hip joint. The report is enclosed here...  Read Full »

How can knee pain be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, There is dull knee pain while standing and walking for one month. What can be the cause of this?  Read Full »

I am having hip pain due to playing squash. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I used to have a long-term groin injury from playing badminton which caused jarring pain which ended up me having to stop for a while. I have not played badminton for four years so the groin injury subsided by whenever my groin is stretched it is always tender and has a lot less range o...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now