Q. If problem is in hip joint then why do I have pain in the knee?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2019

I am 24 years old. I have stiffness and pain in thighs and knees for more than a year. I cannot sit properly and stand up instantly. I am having problem in each and every activity involving legs. I have reduced mobility and flexibility of legs. My report shows AVN stage 3 of hip joint, for which I have been suggested hip replacement surgery. My question is that, if problem is in hip joint then why I have so many problems with knees? When I stand up, my knee gets blocked and I cannot stand instantly. There is cracking sound in knees when I sit or stand up. I am worried whether I have some other problem in knees also.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Hip avascular necrosis (AVN) and hip arthritis causes pain in the affected hip and also sometimes in the knees as the same nerve which supplies the hip also supplies the knee joint. It is called as obturator nerve. This nerve supplies both the joints.

So if there is hip joint pain, many patients also get pain in the knee joint. But, also to be sure if nothing is wrong with the knee joint, you should take x-rays and document it. Get x-ray of the knee joint both in anteroposterior view (AP) and lateral view and then get a follow up done to confirm your problem.

|