Q. I have sinusitis and lost smell sensation. Will nasal drops help?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I am male, 43 years old, I was born with cleft palate but it is fine now and I have sinusitis and loss of smell sensation. I took steroids Prednisone nearly two months back and got my smell back but suddenly four days ago now the smell is gone again. Just to let you know I have moderate sleep apnea and using CPAP, I also have some allergy in the nose. I also use a nasal spray, just started like three days ago after stopping for three months.

My question is how can I get my smell back? Shall I continue the Avamys Nasal Drops?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1. Your recurrent problem of not able to smell is due to sinusitis and allergy. Once that gets treated smell will come back. But in chronic sinusitis, the smell may or may not come back due to prolong disease.

2. Avamys should be helpful. These steroids sprays reduce inflammation inside our sinuses and nose. For steroid sprays to act in our nose we should have wide sinus openings.

To see if you have space in your nose for sprays to act you will have to get plain CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses done. If your nose is very crowded and infected then you will have to undergo endoscopic sinus surgery which will remove active disease and inflammation. Following surgery, you will have to continue sprays for a few months to avoid recurrence and it will make your nasal mucosa healthy and you will be able to smell.

3. Oral steroids will relieve your symptoms temporarily, but in case of sinusitis we need to treat the disease for a long time.

|