Q. I have sinusitis and lost smell sensation. Will nasal drops help?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Sep 07, 2019

I am male, 43 years old, I was born with cleft palate but it is fine now and I have sinusitis and loss of smell sensation. I took steroids Prednisone nearly two months back and got my smell back but suddenly four days ago now the smell is gone again. Just to let you know I have moderate sleep apnea and using CPAP, I also have some allergy in the nose. I also use a nasal spray, just started like three days ago after stopping for three months.

My question is how can I get my smell back? Shall I continue the Avamys Nasal Drops?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

1. Your recurrent problem of not able to smell is due to sinusitis and allergy. Once that gets treated smell will come back. But in chronic sinusitis, the smell may or may not come back due to prolong disease.

2. Avamys should be helpful. These steroids sprays reduce inflammation inside our sinuses and nose. For steroid sprays to act in our nose we should have wide sinus openings.

To see if you have space in your nose for sprays to act you will have to get plain CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses done. If your nose is very crowded and infected then you will have to undergo endoscopic sinus surgery which will remove active disease and inflammation. Following surgery, you will have to continue sprays for a few months to avoid recurrence and it will make your nasal mucosa healthy and you will be able to smell.

3. Oral steroids will relieve your symptoms temporarily, but in case of sinusitis we need to treat the disease for a long time.

My period is late by six days. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 25 year old female. My periods were due on the 17th and today is the 23rd. I have still not got my periods. I have a very weird taste in my mouth. I have mood swings. I am passing urine frequently. My poo is very liquid. All this is happening with me from the past three days....  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana Kaur Khurana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you experienced delayed periods ever before? Is there any history of sexual contact? If there is no such history, then once or twice in a year your periods might get delayed or disturbed. If you do not get your periods after a few days and there is no history of s...  Read Full

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full

I feel like all my teeth are loose and going to fall out. Can this issue be reversed?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to have bruxism (now I do not because I wear a mouth guard) and now my gums are receding. It feels loose and worn out and I cannot even eat soft foods without it feeling wobbly. I cannot even speak properly because I feel like my teeth are going to fall out. Are all my teeth going ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query. You are using Corsodyl mouthwash. That contains Chlorhexidine gluconate and is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat various aphthous ulcers or other oral infections. But, if you have listened to the previous dentist, he would have r...  Read Full